"A**hole John": A Book I Judged Too Early

Everyone has their own story.

19
Callie Futey

Boy: "hey baby girl wyd tn?"

Me: "idk yet"

Boy: "come over and party with us"

It's a typical texting conversation, am I right? I know, I know, and I thought exactly what you may be thinking at the moment. (This is a f*ckboy/player) ...you're not technically wrong and I see a lot that girls and guys have quite a bit to say about each other on social media and even to their friends in person as well about a "player."

I did end up going to the party and yes, the guy was an a**hole and sloppy drunk trying to make moves on every girl along with me. Of course, it was very uncomfortable and there were times I wanted to sock him in the face but...I stayed for some reason. I had a feeling that there had to have been some explanation of why he was the way he was. People intrigue me and I wanted to get to the bottom of his story and here's how the rest of the night went.

As the party died down and the crazy, drunken idiots began to depart the area and as I made my way back up the porch steps to say goodbye to him, I noticed one thing. That guy, the one who was belligerent and being a pervert just an hour before was sitting by his phone heavily jamming to classic rock which was much different than the typical Fetty Wap trap music that he had playing for the party. As he played his music off of what I observed was from Spotify (my favorite), I listened along with him to the sad lyrics that flooded from the speakers on his shattered phone screen. I noticed two things...we had a similar taste in music and that he wasn't a bad guy to have a healthy and happy conversation with.

We sat there and named the bands that were playing back and forth to each other like a little made-up game. It was somewhat enjoyable and I was actually having fun! Until about eight songs in and that's when he became the opposite of a**hole John that I knew. He became very quite, looked down and sipped slow and easy on his beer. I noticed a few times that he had to put his hands to his eyes to cover them.

That's when out of nowhere he whispered softly, "Man, we used to have so much fun singing this song together...I'll never get to sing it with him again." I blatantly asked him what he was talking about and I think that for a moment, he completely forgot that I was on the porch next to him by the look he gave me when I spoke again. He suddenly seemed embarrassed and said in his a**hole John voice, "Nothing, don't worry about it!" He was pushing me away, so I started to get up from my chair to leave once again when I heard, "Wait, Cal stay please." Annoyingly, I sat down again and rolled my eyes at him.

"I'm sorry, I know I'm an a**hole a lot of the time." A**hole John was not wrong because he was rude 98.9 percent of the time of me knowing him. Then something odd happened. He took my hand and told me a story about his life. I learned to never judge a book by its cover. I thought John had it all, when really John was a lost and broken soul like many of us in this world.

I had always thought that he was the worst guy in the world. Yet, for some reason I gravitated toward him every time. I learned that he didn't grow up with any money and that his dad's idea of "fun" was to shove a gun in front of his face threatening him. I learned that he had gone nights without dinner being served on the table. I learned that his best buddy since they were 9 years old died tragically in a car accident. I learned that he knew what it felt like to not have anyone by his side in his darkest times because his mom was too busy getting buzzed off the Heroin while his dad was occupied with the hooker next door. I found out that he worked his tail off to make it into college to get away from all of the hurt in his own home.

Lastly, I realized why he was the way he was. He wasn't "a**hole" John..he was "wall built up so high so nobody could get in and hurt him" John. He had a comic book story and all it was featured were the villains. He was kind enough to let me in that night and tell me his story and I'm glad he did because I don't think I will ever judge another book by its cover again.

I hugged him and cried for him, as well as telling him a little of my story and we cried together. I've never had such a crazy moment of emotions everywhere with one person like that. I won't ever forget it either...

After we vented, we continued to bat bands back in forth when a song came on and a**hole John became no more in my mind because he was just John and I saw him for what he was and not the front that he flaunted to everyone. Never judge a book by its cover because it might end up to be the best story you ever read.