Are You Proud Of Your Friends?

Are You Proud Of Your Friends?

I'm proud of my relationships, but I haven't always been.

61
Are You Proud Of Your Friends?
Thought Catalog

The environment we find ourselves in has a great impact on us and who we are. Whether that is the school you go to or the job you're working. The right environment and the right people make all the difference. The individuals we spend our time with have a great impact on who we become. Who we spend our time with is who we become similar to. If they're negative, we're negative and if they're positive were positive. So why is it that we find ourselves around crummy people. Perhaps we don't want to be lonely or we're just hanging out with the cool kids. And, why do we hold onto toxic friendships and relationships, maybe for the same reason.

A wise friend recently brought this topic to my attention. In short she said, If you're not honestly proud of the people you call your friends, is there really a point in being friends with them? I can count my close friends and relationships on my hands but I can say I am proud of all of them. I'm proud of my best friend from high school who is strong no matter what life throws at her. I'm proud of my boyfriend for going to school over 8 hours away from home. I'm proud of the new friends I have made and have as roommates because they are genuinely nice people. I'm proud that I can say that I can say this about the people in my life, but there was a time I couldn't say that and I know some of you may still not be able to say that.

Consider this,

if you wouldn't want your friends at a family function or at your wedding at least consider if they're worth your time and effort. Life goes by too fast to spend it with people who don't lift you up and same goes for the environment you find yourself in day in and day out. If you don't like your job or your school look into making a change. I transferred colleges last semester, in short I wasn't happy at my own school and it just wasn't the best fit for me and if I hadn't of made that change I would not be as happy and motivated as I am at my current school. It can be hard to leave places behind and say goodbye to people but sometimes it is the best thing you can do for yourself.

I encourage you to take an honest look at where you are and who you're with. If you're not happy with where you are look into a new school or even a new job. After all there is no harm in looking. If your friends aren't people that support your wildest, craziest, biggest dreams; and you wouldn't want them around your family its time to put yourself out there and make new friends. You're a better person when you surround yourself with great people.