Are Christians Allowed To Be Civilly Disobedient?

God calls us to submit to government, so is it wrong to resist? No matter the circumstance?

158
Wikipedia

In today’s politically tumultuous world, it can be hard for Christians to figure out what our role should be. This dilemma has manifested itself in every major human civilization, and our modern era is no different.

In my ancient and medieval political philosophy course, we studied an oft-cited passage from the Book of Romans that truly got me thinking about this issue much stronger than I ever have before.

Written by Paul during his time in Corinth, he opens chapter thirteen outlining the clearest relationship between Christians and the government. Paul argues:

“Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.” (Romans, 13:1-5)

Reading this passage by itself, I could easily see how people from all walks of life throughout the centuries would interpret these words as an endorsement of their regimes. In almost all instances, they have used Paul’s words in their own ways. Some have used them to advocate for Christians to practice pure, peaceful pacifism. Others have been more sinister with their application.

Unfortunately, throughout history, there have been a few rotten governments, to put it mildly. Governments that have used this passage in Romans to try to subdue Christians from lashing out politically, to prevent them from challenging their rule.

Which got me thinking: are they right?

Is Paul advocating for us to never resist? No matter what? What about evil governments? Is it possible for Christians to adhere to God’s word while also being civilly disobedient in the face of an unjust government even if said government is believed to be endorsed by God?

In short, no.

Although Paul’s writings advocate for a certain level of obedience to Earthly authorities, the notion that these verses endorse unjust governments are false, and when governments violate God’s law, Christians should resist in Biblical ways so that said regimes cannot continue to use Romans as justifications for evil.

Admittedly, at first glance at this passage, it does support the idea of passive behavior that is inherent to the Christian faith. Although we as Christians believe that we are not of this world, we still must submit to authority to keep us in line.

Mankind is inherently broken due to the fall from Grace by Adam and Eve, which has created a natural gap between us and God. A gap that is, ultimately, sin. One that keeps us separated from God himself.

By virtue of our broken nature, if we are to be left alone in anarchy, akin to the Hobbesian state of nature, it would be bedlam. A government can be considered a gift from God to help keep us in check. We as Christians should live in obedience, for it will help to bring us a certain peace.

While that all sounds fine and dandy, when examining the context of Romans, there is an evident paradox. A paradox that is firmly centered on this letter’s author, Paul.

During his life preaching the gospel and building the church, Paul was so frequently in and out of prison that the Romans probably should have considered building a revolving door to his cell. How can Paul write about how we should adhere to the governing authorities when he was in constant violation of the laws of the Roman Empire?

Although Paul was violating laws enacted by Caesar to persecute Christians, Paul was living his life as Christ intended man to do so. He was subservient to God first, then to Caesar and his empire. Preaching the gospel, and spreading the word of God is something explicitly laid out for followers of Christ to do.

At a time where Christians were being hunted down, imprisoned and murdered for their faith, Paul writes to them in this Epistle pleading with them to not take up the sword against the rulers of Earth. This entire book could have been trying to incite the Christians to open rebellion against Caesar, but instead, he was trying to remind them that Christians are not anarchists.

Just as Jesus did not come in like a conquering king to Jerusalem, but as a man of love and peace, Paul advocates for the same thing here.

Famed theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer once wrote:

The world exercises dominion, the Christian serves, and thus he shares the earthly lot of his Lord, who became a servant … How is it then so easy for the Christians to find themselves in opposition to the powers? Because they are so easily tempted to resent their blunders and injustices. But if we harbor such resentments we are in mortal danger of neglecting the will of the God we are called to serve,” (The Cost of Discipleship, 1937).

To engage in open rebellion allows for too great a possibility for men to fall prey to wrath, spitefulness, hatred, and bitterness. All deadly sins that will condemn a man to Hell. But to be mistreated by a government, even if it costs you your life, then you will die an innocent man at peace with Christ.

But the question still remains, does this subservient attitude make it Biblically impossible for Christians to not engage in civil disobedience of any kind?

Certainly not!

Where mankind starts to construe Paul’s teachings is when we try to use it to justify a wicked or otherwise Biblically unsound government. We should be subservient to the government unless there is a situation where said government is compelling us to do evil. To do something antithetical to God and his law.

There are several examples throughout the Bible, in both the Old and New Testament alike, where Biblical heroes are placed in impossible situations where they must resist a government advocating evil.

In Exodus chapter one, Hebrew midwives are ordered by Pharaoh to murder newborn Hebrew boys, yet they refused. The midwives were then blessed by God for fearing his sovereignty.

In 1 Kings 18, a man named Obadiah openly defied Queen Jezebel by rescuing God’s prophets from certain death by her hands.

The Book of Daniel has two oft-cited ones as well. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refuse to bow down before King Nebuchadnezzar’s golden idol, and Daniel is caught praying to God after King Darius made such an act illegal. In those instances, all four men were condemned to death but were saved because God approved of their resistance to the wicked ruling.

Even Jesus Christ himself was civilly disobedient to an extent. He was one who publicly rebuked the Pharisees and Sadducees, resisting their authority.

When examining these prime examples, one notices a common theme here.

The theme of non-violence.

Jesus did not come riding into Israel calling others to join in a violent crusade against the Romans, nor did Daniel try to fight and drag soldiers down into the lion’s den with him. These men resisted because they knew that God’s will was more powerful than that of man.

After all, it is God who gives governments their authority to rule on Earth. This is ultimately backed up by Luke in the Book of Acts, where Peter claims “We must obey God rather than human beings,” (Acts 5:29).

Perhaps the best example we in the modern era have of someone living this out is that of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a man I referenced earlier.

Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran pastor who lived in Germany during the reign of the Third Reich. He considered it his Christian duty to resist Hitler and the evil of the Nazis. Bonhoeffer resisted by joining up with the Abwehr, the German military-intelligence network where he was ultimately a double-agent passing information along to help Jews escape Germany. Bonhoeffer also ran an illegal underground seminary for a church that focused on resisting the Nazis as well.

He was eventually discovered, imprisoned, and executed for these reasons. Bonhoeffer died resisting an evil government but died knowing he was serving God how he should. He recognized as well that such a government like Hitler’s could be in no way truly ordained or endorsed by God, thus making it a Christian responsibility to act out in a Biblical way.

Bonhoeffer wrote:

No State is entitled to read St. Paul’s words as a justification for its own existence. Should any State take to heart these words, they would be just as much a challenge to repentance for the State as they are for the Church,” (The Cost of Discipleship, 1937).

That right there is the ultimate point. That is why it matters for Christians to engage in some form of civil disobedience in the face of evil governments. There are times where resistance is not only acceptable but becomes something we are compelled to do. While we are called to be subservient to Earthly governments on some level, we also know that the law of God supersedes the laws of man. If we are faced with a government that compels us to evil and is trying to claim validation through this passage, we must not be duped into complicity.

Far too often has evil been allowed to reign freely because no one decided to engage it, or it has been carried out by those claiming “I was only following orders.” Civil disobedience is perfectly acceptable for Christians to practice when standing up against evil and for God’s truth.