An Appreciation Of Appreciation

Given the age of the universe, our lives our but fractions of fractions, seemingly so insignificant that the finest of measuring devices would strain to even pick up a suggestion of our existence. With that being said, we clearly have no time to waste being angry, resentful, harsh or thankless especially because we are most commonly in the presence of those we deem important in our lives. We find ourselves regularly amongst our brothers, sisters, parents and friends. What moments then should we find ourselves with those we love most spent in disharmony given our finite lives? In what moments should we find ourselves in anger, in jealousy, in regret, in bleakness. If you had 5 minutes of your life left how would you spend it?... So why not spend every single minute in that same disposition?

I have learned appreciation-not due to religious pilgrimages or extensive hours of meditation but through the demise of seemingly everything important I had. My lack of gratitude, therefore, shaped my profusion of appreciation. I once heard a quote that went something like, “think of all the things in your life that if you didn’t have, it would make your world very dim.” Even though I had seemingly lost so much, I found myself at one point in amazement of my shoes. “Wow!!” I thought… “I have shoes to protect my feet when I walk around, how much harder would the simplest of things be without shoes?” I spent a period of time simply taking note of everything that I had to be grateful for. I felt rich, I felt alive, I felt like there were so many things that I had access to, which some people may see as a luxury like something as simple as water. In some countries, people have to travel miles, with a single bucket to get water for showering, cleaning, and food. No matter what I didn’t have, I know knew how special it was that I could simply go to the frig, and pour a glass of water-filtered water to add to that and drink it. My focus shifted to what I lost to what I actually had and that changed my life.

As my appreciation grew so did more things to appreciate come into my life. The smallest of things seemed like the biggest of things. Whenever I needed something, somehow, someway it was delivered to me. I looked back on my life and I realized how many beautiful moments, how many beautiful things I had looked over. I made a vow to myself to find everything beautiful I could in each moment especially those which may seem bleak.

Appreciation not only increases your well-being, it also increases the well-being of those around you. Everything in this universe loves to be appreciated. Appreciation acts as the first spring rain, nourishing the seeds of light and love within each of us. If you ever find yourself down, depressed, at wits end, lost, or confused, try making a list of things that are meaningful in your life. No matter where you may find yourself there will always be something to be thankful for and that gratitude will only align you with more things to be grateful for. Each of us believes that tomorrow is promised but the cold fact is… It’s not. We must therefore strive to live each moment with joy in our hearts- let appreciation be the foundation of that joy and watch your miracles unfold.