AOII Kickin' It For A Cure

AOII Kickin' It For A Cure

Kickball Tournament raising money for the Arthritis Foundation

23
AOII Kickin' It For A Cure
Ashley Stahl

Alpha Omicron Pi’s national philanthropy is the Arthritis Foundation. The Gamma Theta chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi sorority at the University of South Florida had their 9th Annual Kickin’ It for a Cure Kickball Tournament to help raise money for the national philanthropy. AOII dollars to the Arthritis Foundation support arthritis research, Juvenile Arthritis Power Packs, and Juvenile Arthritis Camps and Conferences.

Arthritis is one of the most prevalent chronic health problems and is the nation’s leading cause of disability amongst Americans over the age of fifteen. In 2006 alone, 46 million adults (nearly 1 in 5 people) were diagnosed with arthritis. What is more heartbreaking is that an estimated 23.2 million people live with chronic joint symptoms, but have not been diagnosed. This painful disease affects people of all ages, including nearly 300,000 children, and can limit daily activities such as walking or writing.

This was my first Kickin’ It event and I had the privilege to be an assistant coach to Zeta Beta Tau fraternity. It was great seeing my sisters supporting the fraternities and the sisterhood. I never knew the competitiveness of guys playing kickball. But the guys all supported each other even when they were in a different fraternity. The brotherhood was there and it was great seeing that on and off the field.

Being the assistant coach to a frat was interesting. I got to see the side that most girls would not see. I saw the playfulness, the competitiveness, and the funny side of the guys. The guys were respectful that we were delayed in the game and about the bracket. Towards the end, my fraternity was playing against Sigma Pi and we lost. We were second place but I believed that we could have won. The guys were winners in my eyes and I had a great time with my second philanthropy event!