4 Ideas On How To Successfully Overcome Relationship Anxiety

Relationship anxiety can suck—but it can suck less.

139
Unsplash

Relationship anxiety is a phrase that's tossed around a lot. But what does it mean?

Relationship anxiety refers to the negative emotions that you have towards your relationship. It can be anything from insecurity to jealousy. As strange as it may sound, many people struggle with these kinds of feelings. Anxiety can arise at any step of the relationship.

However, as the romantic relationship becomes more serious, so does the tension. Although it’s perfectly normal, relationship anxiety is tiresome. Is there any way that you can deal with it? Sure there is...

1. Keep your mind busy

Your head is full of crazy thoughts. One moment you’re thinking that your partner will find someone better than you, while the other moment you’re thinking that you should seriously lose some weight. There’s a voice in your head that doesn’t let you live a normal life. Until you learn how to control that critical inner voice, you should keep your mind occupied.

When you’re in a relationship, it’s kind of hard to be busy. Yet, if you don’t want to see the end of it, stay mentally busy. To distract yourself, you can sit down and start writing. Even if you’re no writer, try to come up with a good story. All you need is a good plot and you’re good to go. Or you can just read a good book. Literature can improve your mental health and it’s a great source of knowledge.

2. Don’t act on impulse

When you’re influenced by a certain mental feeling, you’re tempted to act irrationally. Maybe you think that your significant other is seeing someone else. You get angry and strikeout. This isn’t what you should be doing. It’s recommendable to refrain yourself, otherwise, you’ll deeply hurt your partner.

Calm down.

Some people use Train wreck to relax. Should you, now? No, just kidding. There are plenty of ways to relax, such as taking deep breaths or taking a long bath. Whatever you like. The point is that you need to stop for a second and think about the consequences or your actions. Once you’ve calmed down, you’ll be able to make better decisions.

3. Try to find your balance

The reason why you’re suffering from relationship anxiety is that you tend to overanalyze everything. You can’t help it—this is who you are. Nevertheless, if you’re always thinking about the choices you’ve made, you’ll end up in the loony bin, not to mention that you’ll lose the person you love. Hard as it may be, you need to find your balance. Meditation can help you in this respect. For a long time, meditation has been linked to mental and physical wellbeing. The great thing about meditation is that it helps you understand your feelings and behaviors. After a few sessions of quiet time, you’ll finally get rid of that nasty relationship anxiety. If you want to have a healthy relationship, then you should really think about practicing meditation.