Antibiotic Resistance: The Start Of An Epidemic

The end of the world as we know it.

15

We have all learned in our Biology classes that drug resistance is an inevitable and unsurmountable result of the use of antibiotics. Each population of bacteria contain minor variances among them, ensuring diversity and resulting in the dominance of one. Natural selection deems the destruction of those that are unable to fight against environmental stress and, in this case, the unfortunate abundance of the resistant. Although healthcare professionals have feared the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria, they could have never envisioned this day to come so soon.

Just last month, a woman with an easily curable urinary tract infection would change the entire mindset of pharmaceuticals. Shockingly, the woman’s urine indicated that she was carrying an antibiotic resistant bacterial strain- one that is resistant to antibiotics of the last resort. Although the strain succumbed to other antibiotics, the fear is that since the resistant gene, mcr-1, is located on a plasmid, the gene can be transferred between bacteria through bacterial gene transfer. Hence, sooner or later the gene can be transferred to a bacteria that has already evaded all other antibiotics.

Less than a century ago, healthcare was taken to the next level through the development of antibiotics. Altering the relationship between human beings and pathogens while paving the way towards advanced medical breakthroughs that would not have been within vicinity without the ability to destroy bacteria. However, we have seen time and time again that every revolution, evolution, and breakthrough contains the seeds for its own undoing, antibiotics are definitely no exception. These antibiotic resistant bacteria develop within the heels of new and seemingly panacea. It was inevitable that a super bacteria would eventually rise. However, we have done nothing but exacerbated and accelerated the issue.

As a student aspiring to become a part of the healthcare realm, provide the most efficient and safe care to any patient, it is important to understand the flaws of the system increasingly creating problems such as this. It is true that antibiotic resistance is not stoppable, however the manner in which drugs are used influences how quickly and the extent to which drug resistance occurs.

Antibiotics are treatments for bacterial infections, not viral infections. A simple misconception that has dire consequences. For example, strep throat is the result of bacteria called Streptococcus pyogenes, and can be cured using antibiotics. However, most common sore throats, many times confused and misdiagnosed as strep throat, are caused by viruses. Consuming antibiotics to treat these common sore throats does nothing to relive that problem, but the antibiotics are not nullified either. These antibiotics are still attacking bacteria found in your body, bacteria that may be beneficial or not causing disease. Although not causing immediate harm, the misdirected treatment using antibiotics promotes the development of antibiotics resistant strains of harmless bacteria, able to transfer these genes to harmful bacteria.

Such as this there are various reasons why antibiotic resistance has become much more prevalent. When penicillin and other powerful antibiotics were introduced, many people believed them to be panaceas and ultimately misused them. Physicians may prescribe prescription medications before receiving appropriate test results identifying the true origin of the infection. Sometimes people even resort to self-diagnosis, purchasing antibiotics abroad when in most cases they are completely unnecessary. It’s imperative that we understand the consequences of our actions as it not only affects us but those around us as well.

Until now, the development of novel antibiotics has outpaced the introduction of antibiotic resistance bacteria. Are we ready to live a life devoid of antibiotics? Absolutely not. Hence, it is vital that we incorporate antibiotic stewardship into our life styles. As this small change, can help sustain the efficiency of current antibiotics, extend their period of use, and protect the world from the antibiotic resistant super bugs that threaten to dominate.