Animals on the Verge of Extinction 2019

5 Animal Species on the Verge of Extinction

We need to do more. Our world is dying.

52

Conservationism is finally becoming cool, and I see great improvements for our planet in the future. Still, there are many who do not think there is anything wrong with their practice, whether it's littering, not recycling, or overproducing trash. But the Earth is showing us we are hurting it. The Earth is dying, and so are the species that live here - and it's our fault.

Vaquita

The Vaquita porpoise was only discovered about 50 years, and already there are less than 30 left in our world. Their progressive extinction is due to being caught and drowned in fighting equipment. The Vaquita porpoise has been given the title of the rarest marine mammal.

Northern White Rhino

The last male white rhino died this past year, leaving only two females to the species. Meaning, this species of Rhino will likely go extinct in our lifetime. The decline in their population is caused by extensive poaching for their valuable horns. Currently, scientist have suggested possibilities of assisted reproduction, but the procedure proves to be expensive.

Sea Turtles

Everyday, I see more and more videos of sea turtles being drowned or choked by garbage in the ocean. I'm sure we have all seen the videos of sea turtles, and other animals, being choked by the plastic six pack rings that come with soda. However, I also saw a heart wrenching video of a sea turtle that was unable to breathe due to a plastic straw being stuck in his nose.

Sumatran Elephant

Though the population of elephants in Africa is pretty stable, the population size of the Sumatran Elephant, primarily found in Sumatra, is getting lower every year. Less than 3,000 of these species remain. You probably think you already know the answer to the extinction of these beautiful animals, poaches. Though this is a true issue faced by elephants and other animals, the lost of the Sumatran Elephant is primarily due to deforestation and habitat loss

Pygmy Sloth

Sloths are my spirit animal. They sleep all day, and move slow, but their population decline is not slow at all. Sloths are primarily found in South America, and like the Sumatran elephant, they are facing habitation loss due to deforestation. As of right now, there are less than 80 pygmy sloths remaining in the wild.