Anderson Cooper's Callout - Too Little Too Late?
Politics

Feeling the media's effect on the 2016 election

7

During Sunday night's debate, Donald Trump was forced to face his past as Anderson Cooper outright accused the Republican candidate out for making comments essentially justifying sexual harassment and assault of women based on celebrity-status.

"You bragged that you have sexually assaulted women. Do you understand that?"
~ Anderson Cooper, CNN

Trump struggled to give Cooper a straight answer, which had those offended by his comments rejoicing. For once, a moderator or journalist had finally asked a candidate the question we've all been wanting to know the answer to. This isn't just the first time in this specific case Trump has been called out directly for his misgivings, but in the entire campaign for either candidate.

But is it too late?

Although the debate stage was filled with "undecided voters" a large amount of expected voters have already made up their minds. This level of interrogation would have been more helpful in the earlier stages of the election when Trump was running in the primaries. Other candidates, who stood in Trump's shadows anyways while moderators danced around his previous controversies, had to fight for the spotlight in order to even get their name in the discussion.

Many of the expected voters in this upcoming election aren't even true supporters of the candidate they will likely cast their ballot for, either. With the two most unpopular candidates in the history of the American presidency running against each other, voters grow more and more polarized by the day. According to a Quinnipiac poll released this August, a whopping 64% of potential voters polled said they are only pro-Trump because they are so anti-Clinton, compared to only 25% of pro-Clinton supporters voter for her because they are so anti-Trump.

Perhaps it isn't entirely the voters' fault for electing such atrocious candidates for such a prominent position. While the responsibility should be falling on the voter, the Digital Divide plays a massive role in how informed a voter can be, especially in this age of technology. More affluent voters can access more information and can vet the moderators, let alone the candidates themselves - something lower income voters are not always able to access.

So yes, let's appreciate the milestone we have reached in this election. But with only a month to go before Election Day, is it really such an achievement?