And So She Danced

And So She Danced

A Blooming Masterpiece

49
And So She Danced
Phases of Dance

The girl would watch T.V. and see the commercials stating that a size 2 body was the only gorgeous body and that covering up her blemishes was the only way she could find someone who thought she was beautiful. She would pile her eyeliner, mascara, and foundation on, but then finally realized that she was the most breath taking when she woke up in the morning with her hair sky high. She finally figured out that having some fat on her stomach and muscle on her bones was the RIGHT way to go and, so, she danced.

Jumping from school to school among all those light complected, straight haired girls was difficult for the girl because she didn’t quite look like that. The girl had to figure out by herself that she was not a “weirdo,” it just meant that she had much more to offer when it came to being different. All the girls that decided to talk down to her and talk “at” her rather than “to” her made her question her worth. But, she figured out that rather than take her pride and shove it in someone’s face like so many had done to her, she was going to do the opposite and uplift people. She finally figured out that uplifting people took way less effort than intentionally putting someone down and, so, she danced.

She figured out that no matter what, someone is always going to have something to say, whether you wear too much black or wear too much color. Whether your outfit is updated to what was then “cool” compared to wearing something that was then considered “out of style” because in today’s world if you are not keeping up with what style is in, you’re considered to have no "fashion sense." Whether she was introverted and kept quiet and never voiced her opinion or whether she was an extrovert and could not stop being social, someone was always going to have something to say. So yet again she told herself to let people talk, and to open the door for those who did not know how to bring light, and only the everlasting darkness, into others lives and, so, she danced.

Every time she would walk down the street and felt someone judging her because she did not look like what those other people considered “normal,” she would look down and miss the outstanding view that was right in front of her, yet then again she told herself that if she continued to look down she would miss every opportunity that is right in front of her face, so she stopped and, so, she danced.

When she tried out for some sports team, guys would look at her funny because for some odd reason she was faster than usual, stronger than what a girl is usually considered, and wore athletic clothing because it made her feel more comfortable. She wasn’t allowed to be an outstanding athlete and she wasn’t allowed to wear the clothing that made her feel comfortable, but yet again, she told herself that as long as she feels comfortable in her own skin, then that alone, is beautiful and, so, she danced.

When she reached college and would attend college parties she could not go out without some guy making a rude comment or touching her curves, she let it get so bad to the point where her self-worth was no longer at the surface of her confidence, so yet again she had to tell herself to go get therapy because she was no longer at touch with the kind voice she once had, she was mad. Yet she finally realized that she was not going to let anyone change her and turn her into an angry person just because they were not taught respect, so she developed a backbone and, so, she danced.

She loved her curvy body and walked with confidence, she loved the muscle she carried on her arms and legs because it made her feel strong, she loved her natural look and went out without caking on foundation. She loved to uplift people instead of throwing her pride in their face; she loved being able to offer more of what was considered “different.” She loved that some days she liked to wear all black or that some days she liked to wear a lot of color, she loved that she never had to keep up with the “in” look. She loved being an introvert and observing people rather than being a social butterfly and feeling the pressure of knowing everyone. She loved that she didn’t mind having to kick the people out of her life that brought too much darkness and not enough light. She loved walking down the street with her head held high because she wasn’t missing one damn thing or opportunity just because she is too scared to face the judging eyes. She loved being an athlete whether it was to be outstanding or average, and if she was considered more masculine because she liked wearing athletic clothes, then so be it. She loved having a backbone and being on base with her kind voice and having her self-confidence at the surface of everything she did. She was a blooming masterpiece in the making and she faced battles that wounded her deeply, and every movement she now makes is so beautiful and, so...

She Danced.

"When you dance, your purpose is to not get to a certain place on the floor. It's to enjoy each step along the way."
- Wayne Dyer