An Open Love Letter to Dark Chocolate

An Open Love Letter to Dark Chocolate

How I profess my 7-year long love to my favorite delicacy as best I can.

83
An Open Love Letter to Dark Chocolate
Iris Chiu

Our love story started seven years ago.

While I read syllabuses, you took away my pangs of sorrow.

When it came to sending late night texts, you gave me cacao courage to be true to myself.

The way you smell overwhelms my senses.

Sometimes I accidentally overdose on you because the way you taste is addictive.

The way you linger in my brain makes my pulse race to think of the next time I get to experience you fully.

The creamy, bitter, and sweet residue you leave on my tongue.

You leave a trace of you that transcends my power of description.

With each bite, I gain a new perspective about memories I try to forget.

Though on the surface, some memories are bitter.. depending on how you look at it, they may be sweet.

But you have to breathe and live it,

Sit in the moment and savor it.

Thank you for teaching me this.

Though you started as my coping mechanism for stress, you soon became more than that to me.

Being consistently refreshing and giving me the kick of bitterness, I came to value your sweetness even more.

Your allure is in your mystery,

In every single bite and sensation you evoke from me.

So when people ask why I haven't gotten over you yet,

The truth is I'm speechless about the way you leave me every time.

Fulfilled as ever and yet

Craving for more of you.

You made a noir and irreplaceable impression on me, and I pretty much fell in love with you at first bite.

But I fall for you more deeply every day

Because you're there for me, and I know I can count on you to put a smile on my face even on dreary days.

I know I have it bad for you, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yours truly,

Your resident chocoholic