To Those Who Constantly Compare Themselves

You are you, and you are wonderful.

22
The Odyssey Online

There is no doubt that living in society today is a hard thing to do.

Everywhere you turn there is a new expectation, a new definition of perfect, a new pressure, a new image, a new fad. Every single minute of the day something is new, something is changing, but what doesn't seem to be changing is the expectation to look a certain way and the pressure we feel to do so.

I find myself guilty of comparing every aspect of myself to those I pass. I find myself doing the same thing with pictures, either on the internet or in magazines or on billboards. I find myself wishing the aspects of my body mirrored the aspects of theirs. I find myself wishing that my legs looked like theirs, wishing that my stomach was flat like theirs, that my arms were that toned, that my cheekbones were that defined, that even despite the fact I know they have tons of make up on, that my face was that flawless. Women I pass on the street, women I pass in the hallways, women in my home. It's always something. I wish I had this or that. I wish my this looked liked that or my that looked like this. It's just exhausting. And I am sure that you are exhausted too.

Boys, girls, no gender, both gender, transition gender, gender fluid, whatever gender you are. Fat, skinny, tall, short, blonde hair, red hair, blue eyes, hazel eyes, freckles, no freckles, we all do it; and that's just not right.

We are all beautiful.

If we were all expected to look the same, if we were all meant to have the same features, Nazi Germany would have succeeded (too much?). If you are unhappy with your weight, you can always do things to change it, whether that's gaining weight or losing weight and that transition period where you're working on it and you still feel the need to hide your body, don't. You're working on change and that should be good enough. The people around you, their opinions don't matter and I tell you what, the majority of the people you meet simply will not care what it is you look like if you are kind and caring. Your physical attributes do not define who you are as a person. They do not make you any less of a human being, and those judgments don't make you any less of a human being.

You are so beautiful.

That hair color makes you look radiant. All those freckles are adorable. Your nose is not too big nor is it too small. You have got to realize these things, you've got to accept yourself. Our differences make us who we are, our differences make us beautiful and unique and special. We have got to stop comparing ourselves to people we will never be and people that we have no need to look like. Wishing we were someone else is just a waste of time and creates so much unneeded personal strife. You are beautiful inside and out and when you learn to see that and accept yourself as you are, the weight on your shoulders will lift, the world will look a little brighter, and the days won't seem as long and draining.

People and society don't define your beauty, you do.