Open Letter To The Roommate I Could Never Forget

You'll always have a special spot in my heart

19
Danielle Balint

Sydney,

Where do I even start? You have become such an important person in my life, I don't know how I'm going to do it without you next year. Things are going to be so weird not living in the same space as you, or even being close to you. I'm seriously going to miss being your roommate. Even though we weren't each others first roommates together, and got to experience all the college firsts together, I feel as if I got the best roommate possible. Even though you were a junior and I was a freshman, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. There's so many things for me to thank you for, so here I go.

Thank you for becoming my best friend.

In a few short months of us knowing each other, you became my best friend. Not even a month into living together, I told you some of my biggest secrets, and I'm pretty sure you could have written a book about my life. No matter if it was 2 p.m. and you were napping, or 2 a.m. right before you went to bed, you would listen to whatever I needed to talk about. I'm truly going to miss our Tuesday and Thursday lunches at 2 p.m., and seeing each other out having fun.

Thank you for letting me use 80 percent of the storage.

I'm a traditional freshman that brought down way too much stuff. With that being said, thank you for letting me use 80 percent of the storage in our tiny room in the dorms. I didn't end up using or wearing about 40 percent of the stuff I brought down, but the fact that you let me use as much space as I needed was the best thing I could ask for. Thank you for letting me move the room around whenever I wanted to because I needed a change. .

Thank you for picking up after me.

Mostly after a night out, but even on normal days I know I leave my stuff everywhere. After a night out when I get back to the room, I know I throw my clothes literally everywhere and normally leave trash in random places. But thank you for cleaning up after me and not getting mad. Always putting my dirty clothes in the hamper and gabbing my trash and throwing it away. Thank you for putting my makeup back into my bins, and always closing my dress drawers. Thank you so much for being a cleaning fairy.

Thank you for letting me have my late night jam sessions.

It doesn't always happen but, sometimes, I have random nights I just need to jam out. Normally, these nights are the nights I have way too much homework to do. Thank you for not yelling at me when I should be doing my homework, and instead laughing at my awful singing voice. Thank you for joining in on my song choices, when you know the lyrics. Most of all thank for recording my terrible dance moves, and laughing with me because I'm making a complete fool of myself.

Thank you for being my mom at school.

My mom is only a call away, but you were always right here. You listened to me when I was bawling my eyes out for hours for the fifth time because of some stupid boy. Thank you for laughing at my awful jokes that I think are funny. Thank you for giving me advice on everything, and supporting me with whatever choice I make, just like my mother does. Thank you for yelling at me when I get in trouble with the law, or when I am acting out of hand (which isn't very often LOL). But, seriously, thank you for being my school mom.

Most of all thank you for letting me be myself.

Thank you for not yelling at me in the morning when I'm too loud, because everyone knows I can't be quiet for the life of me. Thank you for letting me take 3 a.m. showers and not getting mad. Thank you for letting me do everything I normally do, without trying to change me. Thank you for handling my crazy, outgoing, fun-loving, free spirit personality that I have. You never once told me to change, or tried to force me to do things I didn't want to do, and I couldn't thank you enough.

I love you so much, and I don't think I'm willing to let go in a few days. I don't know if I'm willing to let two new girls take over our room next year. We have made to many memories in this room, and way too many inside jokes. Sydney, I seriously love you, and I can't wait to see where you go in life. You have so much potential I can't even start to explain it all. I hope we stay in touch through out our lives, can't wait to see you next year.

Please don't forget me,
Danielle