A Letter To Guam's Republicans

A Letter To Guam's Republicans

We are not a plaything for a man-child, but a people deserving of respect.

51
A Letter To Guam's Republicans
Wordpress

If you haven’t heard, the governor of Guam recently endorsed Donald Trump at the Republican National Convention. For those of you who didn’t get the chance to see the endorsement, you can watch it here.

I immediately had so many issues with the endorsement. For starters: Donald Trump? Are you being real with me, because I swear that I am not playing around when I say that I am vastly appalled. Next, let's talk about how the governor introduced Guam by saying, “From the tip of the spear of American might, home of B52s, B1s, B2s, fast attack nuclear submarines, that are keeping the potential enemies of America at bay…”

Wow. Just wow, Governor. Yes, we are a strategic military point for the U.S., and yes we do have those things, but why paint Guam in this way? We are more than a military base full of weapons. We are more than just a place where people can see what America is like. We are part of the Pacific Islands, a part of a people that believe in family and kindness. We are a hidden treasure full of history and culture, not just an outpost that contains weapons to use in a war.

Now don't even get me started on how Donald Trump has exhibited the obvious characteristics of a racist. Donald Trump is rarely, if at all, friendly with minorities. Building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico? Deporting immigrants? Attacking and blaming Muslims for various crimes? America stood for new chances and opportunities or have we forgotten that? Emma Lazarus wrote a poem that I covered in my Honors American Literature in high school. In it, she strongly wrote of how America was the place for new beginnings, second chances, and acceptance.

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Have we forgotten what America stood for?

Let’s not mention that before we were colonized by our European friends, we were people of color. Donald Trump could not give two hoots about Guam, except for the fact that he wants to gain votes from people who can vote. "Trump for Guam" is not something that exists in this reality or in any other for that matter.

With all that being said, I am so happy that we can’t vote for president right now, because if our votes counted and people actually decided Trump was up for the job, I would seriously feel so let down by the people of Guam. Certain delegations at the RNC voiced their disapproval of Donald Trump as their candidate, and even Ted Cruz refused to do so, imploring voters to "vote with a conscience." I will admit that I do understand the position that the governor was in. As a U.S. territory, would he have had much choice when given the floor in front of the United States? We do not have a lot of say in the goings-on in the U.S., but when we get the chance to voice an opinion, it should be one that fully encompasses what Guam is and not what the U.S. wants us to be.

Now, I am well aware of Donald Trump’s promise to pay attention to the U.S. territories and his heaven-sent plan to appoint a certain group for that specific purpose, but I feel his reasoning isn’t as benevolent as some people may think. We are a major U.S. base and one of the first responders, so why wouldn’t a man who wants to bomb ISIS not pay attention to us? Which brings me to that! Really?! Bombing ISIS? That’s the plan? It sounds like another pointless war fought and the loss of more of our people! We already give up one-third of our people to the military, like many other territories, but more conflict will only serve to add fuel to the fire.

Let me stop you before you comment and become furious with all that’s been said; let me tell you that I am not happy with Hillary Clinton. I am far from it. Hillary is not entirely what I would want in a president because she’s lied, she’s sponsored by big corporations and she’s sometimes extremely socially awkward to the point where it hurts. Regardless of it all, she is far better than Donald Trump. She doesn’t have such a violent view for the future of the U.S., and she has a heart, albeit it is somewhat malformed.

Lastly, to the people of Guam who think Trump is a great president. Let me remind you of how he attacked Ted Cruz’s wife and father. Family is a first for the Chamorro people and anyone who spends enough time on Guam. Donald Trump is a ruthless butt of a man who destroyed the sanctity of family. If Governor Calvo had made the same derogatory comments about former governor, Carl Gutierrez and his family during the election for governor, Calvo probably would have lost. We are a people who can think for ourselves. We shouldn’t blindly endorse a man who knows only a life of luxury, a man who is white, high class, able bodied, straight and everything that falls in between those lines. That's why I say, Governor Calvo, I am heartily disappointed in the choice to endorse Trump and in the Republican Party of Guam for deciding it so.

And finally, to the Republicans of Guam, if you have decided that the endorsement was a wrong move, I am abounding in happiness that you have realized what a mistake it was. Donald Trump is a very hateful man that has a negatively skewed agenda in store for America. America was never great and it will not be, unless we get a person in office who can think for the people and the problems in our own back yard. America a work in progress. Yes, we have rights and freedoms other countries don’t have, but we are far from perfect and a revolting agenda is not the way to make it into the greatest country in the world.

This is not an endorsement for Hillary Clinton, but rather a promise that I will never stand with someone so vile and full of hatred.

Lovingly and sincerely,

Jonathan Borja

P.S.

"Where America's Day Begins" is not our only tagline or slogan. I personally find "Tano' i man Chamoru" would have also sufficed.