An Open Letter To The People Who Have Hurt Me

There is no more room in my life for hatred, and I will not let you consume me anymore because I am the bigger person.

1878
DeLacy Louise Rowland
Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too.
-Will Smith

Why are you even here? What is she wearing? I can't stand him. You are gross. She is a whore. He will never have friends. People like you shouldn't exist. What a shitty person. That friend group is weird. Go to hell. F*** you. She is a bitch. He is such an asshole. She is fat. He is ugly.

These are some of the everyday hate statements that suffocate our society. The most unfortunate part is this isn't even half of it. Today our world is run by hatred and hurt, it is easy answer to any discomfort that is thrown our way.

I, like many others, have been hurt throughout my life. I have been beaten down, trampled over, and I have let it get to me. I tend to take things to heart and when things are thrown my way I hurt more than I should let little things get to me. I am emotional, I get hurt, but I am human. What I forget to remember is so is the person that hurts me. They could be going through trials in their life, internal and external, that could be affecting them in away that they feel they need to belittle others to feel better. I have to remember that the people who break me, are probably just as broken.

So this goes to everyone who has hurt me. Everyone who has gotten under my skin. Talked about me. Pushed me down. I am sorry that I have triggered an emotional pot hole in your life. I am sorry that you felt you needed to target me. But I am going to be bigger. Today I am going to say the most difficult thing, I forgive you. I forgive you for disregarding my feelings and using me as your welcome mat. I spent so much energy and time being mad, upset, and frustrated with you for what you have done. I even let it affect my relationships with others. But I have learned as I grow that hating you does nothing. This is not worth my time and I do not benefit from letting my self become consumed by your degrading hate. By letting you get to me, I became stuck in the same hell of a world you are in, and I am bigger. I am stronger, and my heart doesn't need this. I forgive you, but not only do I forgive you, I will be the better person when I am faced with hatred in the future. The next time you come to attack me, I will kindly look you in the eyes and say "that's okay, that's how you feel, but you don't break me" because I know that if I return the fire it hurts you. I don't want to hurt you, I hurt for you that you are going through something so hard in your life when you feel like you need to hurt others. I want to help you. I want you to look at me and realize that it stings but I don't soak it in, and I hope that I will motivate you to be bigger than whatever is hurting you. I want to influence you to be better, just like me. So everyone throughout my entire life that has hurt me, I forgive you, and I want to help you, and if I can't I hope you find the help you need. I hope you read this and hear the words I am saying, not only with your ears but your heart. One day you will thank me for this and until then I will continue praying for you and what you are going through.

I know this may seem harsh, but I think this is the harsh "wow" moment everyone needs in their life, the victims, and the assailant. Hate needs to stop, love needs to happen.

Love,

The girl who is no longer your welcome mat.

27 But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
-Luke 6:27-31