Open Letter To The People Who Gave Up Their Dreams For Me

We appreciate and love you more than you'll ever know

12
Caitlyn Moran

Dear Mom and Dad,

I just want to start off my saying thank you. You both have gone above and beyond what parents should do, and for that I am truly grateful. I know that when you read this title, you will want to say something corny like, “you and your sisters are our dream” or “you guys did not make us give up our dreams” but when it comes down to it -- you did. You dreamed of having kids, but you also had dreams for yourselves and each other. When you decided to have children, we put some of those dreams aside so that we could have the life that you envisioned for us.

When I look back on the last 20 years, it’s amazing to see how much you gave up for me and my siblings. All the times you could of traveled or read a book or even just take a nap were filled with driving us around, teaching us how to ride bikes, or supporting us at anything and everything we were involved in.

Dad, you spent almost five Father’s Days in a row at the softball field. Mom, you would wake up every morning just to make sure we would get out of bed. No one asked you to do things like this, you just did them. Was it annoying to see mom wake us up and then she went back to bed? Yes, but she’s the mom and that’s just how things are. You both have worked hard to allow us to succeed, whether it was sports, academics, or life goals you were there to push us through all of it.

Thank you for putting your dreams aside to make mine come true. Because of you I am pursing an engineering degree and living my dream playing softball in college. Because of you, Morgan is able to go to college and pursue her psychology degree. Because of you, Bailey can succeed in all the sports she loves. Because you guys gave up your dreams, we are able to fulfill ours. Not many kids are lucky enough to have such dedicated and loving parents, but we are. You both worked hard so I could play sports. You both worked hard so that I had a roof over my head, food to eat, and a car to get me around. You both worked hard so that I could become the person that I am today.

Thank you for always picking me up when I fell, and sometimes not picking me up and allowing me to pull myself back up. If it wasn’t for you, I don’t think I would be where I am today. You have distilled such love and knowledge that I can feel comfortable traveling across the world on my own, knowing that if something goes wrong my parents have taught me how to deal with problems. You have also distilled a love for humor that I can never thank you enough for. You accept me for the weird yet charming person I am, and both can easily knock me around with your jokes.

Thank you for giving up your time to make sure that I knew that I was fully supported in everything I did. From every band concert, sporting event, honors award ceremony, graduation, birthday, etc. you both were there. Thank you for showing me and my sisters that true love does exist, as you both have loved your families, each other, and yourself as someone should love. Thank you for pushing us all the be the best of people, and thank you for allowing us to grow and prosper as your children.

Sincerely,
Your grateful children.