An Open Letter To The Lonely Girl Inside

"You must first love yourself."

2634

Have you ever looked around and felt like everyone you see is in some idealistic, fairytale relationship with someone they've recently started calling their "person"? Do you ever feel like you're just not meant to find yours, especially anytime soon? Or perhaps you see someone in one of those relationships and immediately wonder what's wrong with you, because let's face it, how can everyone else find theirs, but you still haven't? There are lots of wonderful things about you, right? Well here's a message to you if you're that girl feeling this way...

It's not you.

Stop beating yourself up! Don't look down upon yourself with unrealistic judgements and blows to your self-esteem just because you're single and third wheeling with your roommates. It's not that you physically are incapable of having a boyfriend, boys hit on you all the time; you're pretty, you're unique, you're awesome, you're YOU. Everyone knows that to be true. YOU know that to be true. And truth be told, you don't have a boyfriend like all of the others because YOU haven't found someone worthy enough.

You are selective. You're very considerate of whom you choose to spend your time, money and love with. You don't allow yourself to settle for less than you deserve, and you certainly don't just let another guys' attention pull you from your focus of the big picture.

You know, ultimately, there is that special someone out there; somewhere that you too can have the relationship in which you desire. You've just accepted that now isn't the right time.

Being the kind of girl you are, you'd probably rather spend your time patiently finding and working on yourself; doing all of the things that you love and allowing the right things to happen at all of the right times, instead of chasing or forcing something that just simply isn't meant to be. You would rather know your own worth and have someone else know it too, than spend all of your energy on someone who only makes you feel mediocre, not complete.

I'd say more than likely you have standards; maybe not a specific "type" as they say, but you love who you love once you've gotten to know them and that's just how it goes. However, you still don't give into temptations of flattery or lust because you do in fact understand what you're worth. You do have standards, and respect for yourself. You've probably been through enough in the past in that with time and age you now see your old relationships as lessons. They've brought you much wisdom and have shown you what you need not to settle for. You realize that they were experiences that were able to prepare you for what's in store for your future. You don't though, feel as if anything was a regret or a mistake. You don't believe in mistakes you believe in experience, and you've found that your past was a series of chapters, or stepping stones in the book of your life.

Old wounds have healed and even though at the time the breakups, heartache, the fights and the tears, they may have seemed unbearable, eventually you realized that they were merely ways of teaching you exactly what not to accept from your significant other in the future. They showed you what you deserve.

If you're that girl, you won't start a relationship at all if you can't even for a second see yourself marrying that person, spending your life and nearly every second with them. You see the whole relationship in your head before the idea of one has even surfaced. You desire someone to really love, not just to waste time with. You could care less about becoming that oh so perfect couple that gets 200+ likes on every Instagram post because they're both just cute in their matching sweaters and kissing in the sunlight. You're not worried about all of that, you don't need a "prop" and you're not being critical because you actually know first hand what that relationship is like behind closed doors. Instead, you seek someone whose love is unconditional, whose life is perfectly compatable with yours, and brings that feeling of ease and comfortablity, but is also much more than that. You crave more than simply being "content" with someone.

Who knows? Perhaps some of those couples you see are as happy as they appear on social media, but not all of them. Not even most of them. As you know many of them first hand, from childhood to present day, you've seen relationships and marriages fail, but to others they strive to look perfect because they're in love with the idea of being in love but they don't actually have real love for eachother. It's sad actually, but you see that so why would you want it? Why would anyone want it? And that's the difference betwen those kinds of relationships and the kind that you seek. That's the difference in you. You believe in real love and you see others who suffer in those toxic, unhealthy "relationsh*ts," as I used to call them, and you're wise enough to know that's not what you want. Not only is it not what you want, it's not what you deserve and you refuse to accept it.

So be proud!

Be extremely proud of yourself for possessing these qualities. You're strong, you're smart, you're independent, you're respectful, you're desirable, you're ultimately everything any man could ever ask for and need in a woman. You don't need anyone, you can manage alone, but a man needs a good woman, he needs you. Once you see yourself as the prize, he will, too.

So don't let that little bit of emptiness you feel time to time -- because you go to bed alone at night -- make you doubt yourself. Hold your head up dear because you are you and you are beautiful and one day as long as you're patient, you will find yours. And when you do he'll make every bit of the wait worth it.

Who knows when or where; perhaps at a bus stop or in a grocery store, in class or at the next place you work, perhaps it's someone you brushed off in high school that you've finally decided to give a chance; at the end of the day no one knows.

But if you stay true to yourself, know your worth and trust in the Lord, one day, the right one will come along and he'll do the same.