An Open Letter to the Girls My (Ex)Boyfriend Cheated On Me With

My friends had told me from the get go that he was dirt, and of course I didn’t listen.

111
Thought Catalog

To the girl who didn’t care he was mine;

I’m not sure I’m ready to put this into words but I know if I don’t try I’ll continue regretting not putting into words what needs to be said. So, at least at the end of this, no matter how it ends, I can at least say I tried.

Whatever you think you know about me probably isn't true, because as we both know my ex is a liar. So, I will introduce myself first. I am 19, and I started dating my Ex in December 2013, just about 3 years ago. From what I understand, you didn’t know about that at the time you guys did the deed, so it's okay, I don't hold much against you. We both fell for a lying bastard, as far as I'm concerned.

When I confronted him about this, he told me that he didn't love you, that your relationship is built on just sex, and that he is not attached to you and only you are attached to him. I don't know the nature of your relationship, but I can hardly imagine that this would be a fair statement for you.

I also would like to say thank you, you set me free. Free of the lies, sleepless night, the constant worry, from the wondering of who he was with that night or any night for that matter, and from him. My friends had told me from the get go that he was dirt, and of course I didn’t listen. I just feel sorry for you, because it seems like no one told you soon enough. What’s sad is it took me flying 1,000 miles for you to find out about me, even though I was all over his social media. So maybe you did know and didn’t care. For my sanity I’m going to assume you did know.

On that note, you weren’t the only one. Just like all his other Florida girls, you were just a number, a day of the week, or just someone he knew he could get in bed. Maybe, he was just those things to you too. You should also know he asked both of us not to say anything to anyone, it’s not because he’s sorry it’s because he know this would ruin how his peers viewed him. Even you could have done better, I mean let’s get real. You knew better and you still continued to see him.

Whether we want to admit it or not, as girls we always dream about that one day when we find Mr. Right. Perhaps childhood friends, or that cute kid you met in chemistry class your sophomore year. Perhaps you meet him in your late twenties after landing your dream job in New York City. Interestingly enough, in all of the wonderful, hopeful, and promising love stories that we have all heard come true, not once has the beautiful girl fallen for the low-life, classless, loser who would cheat on his girlfriend.

-The Girl You Set Free