To All Of The Bullies On Social Media

To All Of The Bullies On Social Media

I know where you are coming from.

49
To All Of The Bullies On Social Media
The Broad Side

Yup. I sure do. You're coming from your own little corner of the world and you are hiding behind your little blue Facebook icon, or private Instagram account, or whatever other social media account of your choice. You're thinking that you are invincible while you sit there like a tiger in the jungle ready to pounce on the next innocent user of the internet. You're probably snuggled up somewhere by the comfort of your phone or laptop, basking in the blue glow of the light emitting from your computer, just waiting for that perfect post to sink your teeth into. Fingers aching and lip twitching just waiting to find that perfect picture that you justify as deserving of your quick judgment and harsh words.

In your head, you're not the wrong one here, right? Why post on social media if you can't handle a few harsh comments every now and again, right? But that is not what you do, what you do is more than that. You are a bully. Just like your good old elementary school playground bully. I mean, it's not like you're actually there with the person screaming in their face or sending a kid home on the bus with a black eye. Nope, it's just all out of fun for you, except that it's not.

You enjoy trolling the post of the internet. You think you are clever with your well thought out insults and the fact that you have mastered the art of bringing a stranger down in just one post. Your problem is, it is easy and convenient to be mean on social media. You are a bully in this virtual world. No one really knows you, and you can hide behind whatever private or made-up profile that you have created and you can say whatever you would like. Because that is exactly what you're doing, you're hiding. Which makes you kind of the loser in this situation, doesn't it? Spending your days being unnecessarily mean to undeserving people. Attacking their posts by insulting their achievements, goals, ambitions, and character. You are saying things that both you and I know you would not have the courage to say if these people were standing right in front of you and that is why you chose to troll online.

But do you really understand the damage? Yes, it's just social media and maybe you're thinking, To these people, I am a stranger, why should they really care what I think? Well, maybe they don't, but then again a lot of them do. Social media was created to keep in touch with friends and family, to easily share pictures and memories, to share stories freely and converse with new people. It was not meant for you to spend your time commenting on pictures of people that you've never even met and who have done nothing wrong to you to tell them off.

So, yeah, I know who you are. You call yourself a troll, and you think it's funny to do what you do -- to make fun of the innocent, to bring people down. It is your goal to ruin a day or two as you go about scrolling in your lonely little bubble hiding behind a computer screen. You say that you are "telling it how it is," or "saying what others do not have the guts to say," and that "everyone else is thinking it too," but really you are just being mean, and it is all because you are protected by that damn computer screen.

So, to you, social media bully, I know where you are coming from.