An Open Letter To Someone Who Doesn't Care

Opening up on the ignorance and arrogance that I have kept silent on.

2327
PBS Newshour

Well, here we are. After months of being told to just “keep my mouth shut,” and that “it didn't concern me,” I'm writing this anyway. I feel that as someone in your life that has to love you no matter what, I have the right to get some things off my chest.

For years now, you have been playing the victim, and everyone has fallen for it. You've spun elaborate stories of abuse, of pain, and of suffering without ever having experienced any at all. You blame your actions on everyone else, claiming that everything that you have done was because someone pushed you too far, that someone forced you to do it. When people began to call your bluff, you picked up a phone and dialed the police, weaving even more intricate stories than before, putting our entire family at risk with the dark fiction you tried so hard to convince everyone was your reality. When I looked outside the window to see shotguns pointed at my house, at my mother whom you'd involved in your selfish plot, I was furious. Yet, I always felt it was my job to make sure you were okay. I blamed myself for everything bad that happened, figuring there must've been something I could've changed. They all said you were depressed, abused, hurting, when in reality you would come home, strong-arm everyone into getting your way and stroll around as though you were untouchable. If anyone were to say a word to you, you would call the police, or a “friend,” claiming we were “offensive” and “abusive.”

Your arrogance has grown unbearable, and while as your big sister, I will always want to protect you, I am tired of being scared for you, worrying about your future when you have no qualms about hurting everyone in your endeavor. The moment you raised your fist to me when I was trying to help you was the moment I knew I had a habit to break. You want freedom? You want to be on your own so badly, you want to abandon our family because we’re not good enough for you? Fine. But don't expect me to come running to help you any longer. Don't expect me to put my sanity on the line when you refuse to acknowledge what you have put us all through. And lastly, you can no longer blame anyone else for your actions. Whether others believe your stories or not, I have finally seen you for who you really are: a selfish, entitled, manipulative human being with no regard for anyone else's feelings, and I refuse to be part of it.