An Open Letter To My Roommate At The End Of The Semester

Living with you has been one of my best decisions in college.

49
Megan Murphy

Dear Roommate,

So we are in the last week of the semester. We’ve been living together for five months now; nearly half of a full calendar year. Do you remember when we met last year, and we decided that we wanted to be roommates? Do you remember how we made a list of reasons why we should be roommates?

I know we had our reservations about living together. Several people warned us that living with your best friend was not a good idea. “You’ll fight,” they said. “You’ll get sick of each other,” they said. “What happens if there’s drama and then you can’t give each other space?”

We scoffed at their doubts and decided to be roommates anyway.

And you know what? I think we did okay.

Living with you has been one of my best decisions in college. There are countless reasons for this, but I thought I would point out a few within this letter. I suspect you already know most of what I am going to say, but I still think that these words are worth saying. You have made my life infinitely better this semester, and I am so grateful. I have so many reasons to thank you. These are just a few….

Thank you for not killing me every morning this semester when I hit snooze on my alarm six times before waking up. Thank you for always asking how I am in the morning, and continually checking in on my well-being and mental health when I am up late at night panicking about a paper. Your level-headed reassurance that I am going to be just fine has been invaluable this semester. You have helped keep me sane simply by being you.

Thank you for all the blanket and pillow forts we made on the weekends. Thank you for the Saturday nights spent binge watching and laughing at our favorite show on Netflix. Thank you for encouraging me to take study breaks when I really need them.

Thank you for all the nights we spent talking about books or analyzing the characterization of our favorite star in whatever show we’ve been watching recently. Living with another English major has certainly made for some incredibly fun discussions.

Thank you for understanding when I need space, or when I need to voice my plans for the day out loud. Thank you for sitting with me for late hours in the library. Thank you for making me laugh when I get too stuck in my own stress to appreciate my own ridiculousness.

Thank you for your patience with my horrendous cooking skills. Thank you for not minding when our room smells like Chinese food for hours after I “cook” yet another microwaveable Pad Thai meal.

Thank you for your willingness to be my own personal fashion consultant. I love planning out our outfits the night before and how you color coordinate your clothes and your makeup.

Thank you for decorating our room for all the holidays. Your enthusiasm for Christmas never fails to make me smile.

Thank you for always accepting me for who I am. I never feel uncomfortable or awkward in our room because I know that you understand me and I understand you. Our room is truly a safe and comfortable space, and I think that is all you can really ask for.

Thank you for being my best friend, and the best roommate. I love you.

I cannot wait to live with you next semester, and continue this adventure of living college life with my best friend.

Love,

Your Roommate