An Open Letter To My First Friend At College

Thanks for everything.

14
Connor White

To my first friend in college,

My last semester of high school, I remember filling out college application after college application. I was so stressed out about where I would live, what I would do, and how I would pay for all of it. However, the thought that visited me the most was, "What am I going to do without all of my friends?" Little did I know, my best friend was just waiting on me to move into my dorm.

I can still remember the first time we hung out together. I was astonished at just how quickly we became friends. We bonded for the first time over Taco Bell, and from then on, I knew this was a truly beautiful friendship built on trust, mutual respect and tacos. In all seriousness, I hope you know that your friendship made my transition into college a lot easier, and though, try I might, no amount of words could ever truly express my appreciation for you.

Thank you for keeping my secrets and trusting me with yours. Thank you for always being straight up with me and telling me when I really just need to get my crap together. Thank you for always having my best interests in mind, no matter what. Thank you for always being down to pig out on pizza with me after a long day of adulting. Thank you for still making time for our friendship even when we became involved in different things. Thank you for never failing to send me screenshots of punny memes in order to brighten up my Monday.

Eccelsiates 4:9-10 says, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor. If either of them falls down,one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up." And man, have you picked me up several times.

You took on my fresh out of high school self and through your friendship, truly made me a better person. I could go on and on about how much you mean to me, but what I'm really trying to say is this: Thank you for liking me for who I am, but loving me enough to not let me stay that way.

When I think about college without you, it just doesn't make sense. You're my go-to Mexican food date, study buddy and of course my constant encouragement. I honestly don't know if I would have survived without all of our road trips and late night Taco Bell runs. You became my family in such a short amount of time. I truly don't know how I lived without you for eighteen years, but I sure am glad that the wait is over.

Thanks for everything.

Love,

Your college bestie.