An Open Letter To Muslim-Haters Over The Orlando Tragedy

Stop using my community — my family’s deaths — as a way to progress your own agenda of hatred toward Muslims.

68
Ten To Twenty

I told myself I would not write about this topic, but I can no longer hold in this burning anger that I have been trying to hide.

If you did not support my community, the LGBTQIA community, before the Orlando tragedy, then do not pretend to support it now because of your own agenda to promote hatred against those of the Muslim faith. I have encountered neither a single ally nor queer person who has ranted about the hatred of Muslims and terrorism. Instead, I see the preaching of love, the preaching of patience, the plea not to ride on the brothers and sisters that have been slaughtered in this tragedy as an excuse to become violent toward another group. You did not support us then. You still do not support us now. You are using us as your excuse so that we will be the ones to be blamed and we will be the ones to face backlash. Will you be supporting us then? When all your hatred blows back in your faces? When all of your actions finally have consequences? No.

“Well, I did it for the gays in Orlando.”

Do not use us for your own selfish, disgusting gain.

You were the ones who preached against us. You protested against our marriages, adopting children or even our basic human rights. You were the ones who always said that we should be executed, that we are abominations to your god, that we are second-class citizens. You were the ones harassing and attacking us in public on the streets, in schools, in the bathroom, even at work and on social media. You hated us and you still do.

But now you’re using this as an opportunity to take advantage of our fallen. Let my people rest in peace. Leave my people alone. Let these parents bury their children, let our brothers and sisters bury each other and mourn. Let us deal with this tragedy in our own way rather than faking your support and using our names to “shoot down those Muslim terrorists.”

If you even cared to know anything about us—allies and queers alike—all we have ever asked for is the acceptance and love of others. We ask that now, after this devastating tragedy, that the Muslim community in America be protected. That they, too, be given the same rights that we have been demanding for years. Not all Muslims are terrorists. Not all cowardly white boys who shoot up schools are innocent or mentally-ill. Those are the real terrorists right there: the white American male.

You were not there for us when we told you we were not voting for the homophobic Donald Trump, who wanted to take away our rights to marriage that we have fought so hard for. You were not there for us when, last week, we were being harassed on the streets or in the subways. You did not support us when we asked if we could use the bathroom that we identified with. Instead, you harassed women to “prove your point” about us “pedophiles.” You called us disgusting. You said we should be shot for what we were doing. You called us rapists and said we would molest your daughters when all we wanted to do was take a piss.

So get the f*ck out of my face with that bullsh*t that you support us today because a “terrorist” gunned us down. You didn’t support us the day before, so don’t support us now. Again, do not use our victims to promote your own hatred when you didn’t stand by us before and we don’t agree with attacking the Muslim community.