An Open Letter To Every Lover Who Left Me

I can't thank you enough.

28
Justin Stum

This isn’t to scold you, or to put you down. This is just a plain thank you. At the time you broke me, I was miserable. I wrote countless sad songs about you and about missing you. I spent my days moping in bed and crying. Although that pain sucked, words cannot describe how thankful I am that you put me through that. Because of those sleepless nights and random bursts of tears, I have become a better person, a person I am very happy and content to be. Because you walked out of my life, it has allowed others to walk into my life.

When you left, my heart was torn into a million pieces. I gave every ounce I had into whatever it was that we had, and you barely gave me anything in return. But I made up excuses for you; I did as much as I could to keep us alive. That got tiring after a while. When you left, I blamed it on myself. I always thought it was something I did, but looking back, I know it was not my fault, not one bit. I did not do anything wrong, all I did was give my all, and there’s nothing wrong with having faith in something you believe will work, even if it never does. You leaving me has given me the strength to begin to love myself. Because the reality of it is, I was whole before you were in my life and I could easily become whole again without you. And I did.

I think that while we were together, I’d always try to become someone else so that you’d like me. I felt that I always had to impress you with my looks or my attitude. It was hard to be completely myself. I was worried that my laugh was too loud, I was dressed too poorly, or I was too obnoxious for attention. But I shouldn’t have felt that way, not if what we had was actually healthy. To be away from that is better and allows me room to be myself and to like what I am. I don’t have to worry about what you think of me. I just have to worry about what I think of me. And right now, I like me.

Not only have I found love within myself because you left, I have found it in someone else, who is the boy of my dreams. If you had stayed with me, perhaps we’d be happy, but I don’t think I would be as happy as I am with this boy. He is so amazing. He treats me like a princess, which I think I kind of deserve after everything I have gone through. He makes me laugh until I cry and always has my back in times of trouble. He doesn’t mind talking to me and giving me advice. He likes to spend time with me just as much as I like spending time with him. He has never put me down or made me feel worthless. I don’t fear him leaving anytime soon and I don’t have to worry about him cheating. He doesn’t go behind my back for anything, unless it’s to surprise me with my favorite tea. You not treating me the best makes me thankful to finally have someone that does.

If I never had an opportunity to have such a person, I don’t know what I would do. Knowing how it feels to be treated right makes me never want to go back to the way you treated me. I shouldn’t have to change myself for anyone but myself. But there I was, trying to change everything about myself to better suit you. Now, I don’t have to. My new love accepts me and my flaws, and he loves me for me. He loves me when I wear fancy dresses, but he still loves me just as much when I wear sweats and a t-shirt. He loves me both with and without makeup. He accepts my decisions and opinions, whether or not he agrees. I have not once had to lie to him about myself, or about anything. I trust him with all that I have, and I tell him everything. He’s my best friend and boyfriend all in one. I could not be happier.

So thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for letting me go. I thought that I needed you to be happy, but I have learned that I don’t. I have learned my worth because of you. I have been allowed to explore and create new friendships that I cherish. I have learned to let go and to accept what has happened. I have learned to find love and be positive. Without you leaving, I never would’ve met the most amazing boy in the world. Because you left, I found someone that I love more than anything, and I can’t thank you enough for doing that.

I hope that maybe one day, you’ll find someone who makes you as happy as my love makes me. Just because we weren’t meant to be happy together, doesn’t mean we both don’t deserve to be happy. You and I just needed to find happiness in different places. And I’m beyond satisfied with where I found mine.