An Open Letter To An Ex Friend

An Open Letter To An Ex Friend

I'm better off without you.

29
An Open Letter To An Ex Friend
Quotes Like

Dear ex- friend,

You know who you are, so I'm not naming names. That won't get us anywhere. I'm not blaming you in writing this, or trying to make you feel bad, but keep in mind, I've been thinking about writing this for some time and could never think of how to start.

I remember the very first day we met. I was alone, and you came over to talk to me. I'm not naming where, but I'm sure you remember. We hit it off right away, and we spent the whole week together. Phone numbers were exchanged and we texted every day. You called me your best friend and I called you mine. I talked about you non stop and you did the same. I slept over all the time and we vacationed together. You even attended my very first school dance. I thought we were going to be friends forever.

Then, you told me mental illness wasn't real and that anyone who said they were depressed or had anxiety was faking. You dropped me a few months after that and I noticed the tension for a while. We fought all the time, and you screamed at me for nothing, only to apologize an hour later. I felt like I was in an abusive relationship, but even though I knew I hated to be treated that way, I let you have such power over me because you promised we were best friends. The last time I saw you, you tried to flirt with my boyfriend and you hugged me, whispering in my ear, "Is that your boyfriend? Hot damn!" He laughed when I told him, and said you were crazy for trying, but every time I showed interest in a guy, you stepped in and tried to make them like you instead. You even tried to get my cousin to like you. But i'm not blaming you. We were both fresh into high school and so young.

We've bumped into each other a few times now, but i try to avoid you as much as possible. I know you still look at my online profiles, and that's why I went private on pretty much everything. I'm still not comfortable with you seeing my life yet. When I liked a picture of a mutual friend that you happened to post, you blocked me. I didn't know you posted it and I'm sorry if that upset you. But you made the separation very clear to me. You told me very clearly that you very much wanted nothing from me ever again.

I'm still not 100 percent sure what I did. I don't know why we're not friends anymore. You wished me a good life before we split, but I know you meant it in a negative way. But, I want you to know my life is happier without you in it. You were a toxic friend and you added stress to me. I had to be careful with what I posted online because you went through my profile logged in as your mom. I liked your mom and she gave me good advice. I was sad when I unfriended her but I had to protect myself. I blocked you on as much as I could think to block you on, I don't want you seeing me, but I still see you.

I saw your prom pictures a mutual friend posted and as much as it hurts that I wasn't there, even though we planned to go to prom together during our friendship, I'm glad I wasn't. You looked beautiful, and I'm sure you had a great time. I'm sure you'll have a great first year of college next year and I wish I could be there to send you off, but I'm glad I'm not at the same time. You were the first toxic friend I ever truly had that hurt me this deeply. There are still some times that I wonder what happened and if we can ever mend what was broken.

But in the end, I know we will never be friends ever again, and that's okay. We have our own circles now.I'm still friends with the girl you claimed replaced you, but we both know you weren't replaced. We're growing as adults and while we most likely will never talk again, I think we're better off that way. If I remember anything about you correctly, you'll most likely join your college's theater group and choir if they have one. I'm sure you'll be great in it. I know you'll see this and to be honest, I kind of hope you do. I'll leave you with the same words you left me, but to be taken in a positive way. I hope you have a great life. I know you'll be great, and hopefully, you'll do great things.