An Open Letter To All Boys, Not Just Boyfriends

You need us, we need you

319
DeLacy Rowland

we don't understand you.

And you don't understand us. So it is okay.

This is an open letter to all boys, not just the boyfriends.

Boys,

I would like to start on a positive note, y'all are very very cool. And when we find the right one of y'all, we bloom and become very very cool girls. I have a guy who makes me feel like I am on top of the world, like I am the most stunning girl on the planet (F, if you are reading you rock, ily). He is so unbelievably sweet and if you looked up chivalry in the dictionary he would be the definition. For the boyfriends, you know what you did, because you are lucky and have scored that beautiful girl sitting next to you, or the one who is three hours and four minutes away sending you this article during your nightly FaceTime date. Y'all spoil us, the endless flowers, chocolates or even the simplest drive-through dates to our favorite fast food spot (IT'S BO TIME). You make us adventure outside of our comfort zones. We try new foods, go watch sports and finally understand them, you take us to cool new activities, fun parties and make us be social when all we wanna do is watch Netflix! Even as friends the smallest act of kindness means so much. The way you help us carry groceries from the car, eat the leftovers that take up our fridge, let us tag along to watch TV, and keep us away from bad boys. You become such important parts of our lives that you don't even realize. Even though you are not our boyfriends, you still have the effect to make us such better girls.

but there is something you need to know.

Sometimes you hurt us (yes, all of you). And we don't understand. We try, no matter who we are, (girlfriends, best friends, the girl down the hall you know) to catch your attention. We crave you. Your friendship for some, your love for others. But we always want to be apart of your lives. We have feelings though, and it is not cool when you hurt our feelings. I am sorry that our feelings get hurt easy but there isn't anything we can do about it (and trust me we hate being so sensitive). Stop taking out your bad day on us, don't yell at us, please don't say mean things, and DO NOT get our hopes up. You cannot get us excited for something, and then drop it when something better comes along, or make us feel unloved because you had a rough day of classes, work, etc. You just can't do this too us! But by now lets face it, YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS. And the fact of the matter is that it all comes down to this one thing: respect. If you respect us, our feelings, our emotions, our passions, you will never hurt us. I know it is tough because we are so dang stubborn but that does not mean you give up so easy. You wanna know why?

Because you need us just as much as we need you.

You will never admit you do, but we know. You need us to watch out for that girl you have been seeing, even though you don't want us too. We help you choose the right button ups for your date or party or whatever function you may be going to. You need us to help you with your homework, to help you turn on the laundry machine and measure out the right amounts of soap (even if you use the dang pods!!!!!) You need our help when you have had a bad day, and the comfort of knowing that we will always be there to help. The joke or the funny story when you need a laugh. Maybe just someone to go with you to eat. You do need us, and whether or not you want to admit it now or later is up to you. But we are already doing our very best to be there for you.

So how about this...

Let's be friends, best friends, dating, official, Facebook official, a "thing", lovers, whatever you what to be. But lets respect each other, and be there for each other with everything we have. Let's not get mad at each other for our bad days, let's work together to make our days better. Let's go get food, go on a movie date, or watch the big football game, and be happy while we do. We are too young for all the drama of being mean. Boys, we want you to be with us no matter what the title. We want your friendship, your compassion, your humor, your looks, your (sometimes gross) eating habits (so we can joke) we want to be the girls you call to do laundry, or how to cook this, or whatever the hell you may need. WE WANT TO BE APART OF YOUR LIFE. So let us in, respect us, and just wait and see how much fun we can be in return. Sooooooooo give us a shot, and we promise we will be the best thing that ever walked into your life... besides college sports of course.

We love you (always will damnit),

girls

PS. Every guy has a girl equal.