Crushing On Someone Has Both Highs And Lows

The journey is always fun...sort of

206
divinecaroline.com

Intense Infatuation. Unrequited. Fleeting. Embarrassment. Shortness of breath. Anxiety, and satisfaction for the few if you are lucky. The adjectives and nouns I just described are all a familiar term once you first become attracted to someone, a crush. While the word crush is defined as "topressorsqueezewitha force that destroysordeforms.", and said definition may describe how your heart will feel if things go sour. Regardless, the journey is always fun.

There are so many places where you can meet that someone. In my experience, you usually meet these objects of affection when you least expect it. I have met mine on a school bus, at the store, in a church pew, and waiting for a flight at the airport. After meeting your crush, you replay conversations you had with them, pray that you were not sweating buckets, and then also pray that they are single. You may also stalk their Facebook page and want to be around them as many times you can.

After getting to know them, you discover that your crush may not match up to who you thought they were. You may have discovered a quality or character trait that you consider a "deal breaker". Or they may not reciprocate your feelings. This could either prolong or shorten the journey but nevertheless, the experience we had with them will teach us something.

There too many songs about Romance and the phases of relationships to count. Unsurprisingly, the songs about failed relationships and unreciprocated feelings can be the most popular and relatable to listeners. "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele was one of 2014's most popular songs. "We could have had it all", she sings. "You had my heart inside of your hands and played it to the beat". Sadly, I have experienced what Adele has felt before. At first, you may feel like you will never meet someone like your crush. I do have some advice to give though. That feeling will go away and you will move on.

Despite how you feel at the moment, you will look back at this time in your life and laugh; you have either dodged a bullet or met a more compatible person. Newsflash, there too many people in the world to ponder over one guy or girl. You also should realize that while no one should treat you unfairly, you are not entitled to have someone reciprocate your feelings. Forcing yourself on others and trying to make them have a romantic interest in you is not the way to go. You can always be their friend, cut them out of your life, or spend less time with them if it helps you get over them.

While the journey of crushing can feel like a rollercoaster, you will feel better at the end.