The End Of An Era

The End Of An Era

My odyssey with the Odyssey has come to an end.

22
The End Of An Era
saunteringpilgrim.files.wordpress.com

The word “odyssey” has a lot of different meanings. It’s an epic poem written by Homer. It’s a journey. It’s a car. It’s also an online literary magazine I’ve loved writing for over the last two years. But all journeys must come to an end, and mine is no exception. This is my last week as a student at La Roche College, and this will be my last article for the Odyssey.

I’ve loved writing my whole life. I constantly scribbled down short stories as a kid, I wrote for my high school and college newspapers, I blog, I write poetry, and I wrote for the Odyssey. Being a part of the Odyssey has given me a voice that I wouldn’t have had otherwise. It’s given me the opportunity to express my thoughts on controversial issues—an opportunity I wouldn’t have had writing for a college newspaper. It’s given me a place to share my poetry. It’s given me a chance to get published in a real magazine even before graduating from college. It’s given me the chance to connect with people who love writing just as much as I do.

It’s very bittersweet. Writing for the Odyssey has been one of the best parts of my college career. Knowing that this article is the last one I’ll ever write for the Odyssey makes a lump form in my throat. On the other hand, I’ve learned a lot from it. I’ve learned that writing is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I’ve learned how important it is to communicate with your team and stick to deadlines. I’ve learned that it’s okay to write about controversial issues as long as you do it in a respectful and educated way.

I don’t know what the future holds. But the Odyssey has reminded me why I love writing. So, to all my fellow Odyssey writers out there, I just want to say thank you for giving me this opportunity. It’s been an amazing journey.