10 American Historical Figures Who Need Their Own 'Hamilton' Musicals

Which historical figures deserve their own musicals?

694
Vimeo

By this point, everyone is at least aware of the Broadway musical that has taken the world by storm, Hamilton. This epic by the creative genius Lin-Manuel Miranda tells the story of one of America's least known founding fathers, our first Secretary of treasury and staunch Federalist, Alexander Hamilton. As a History nut, I was aware of who Alexander was before the musical but I was honestly shocked by how little people actually knew about this man who was crucial in our Nation's founding. Thanks to this amazing musical, millions of people are suddenly gaining a renewed interest in History that has sparked the question, what are some other lesser known American Historical Figures who deserve musicals?

So these are the, in my opinion, ten American Historical Figures who most deserve a Hamilton like Musical! Please note that they are not in any specific order based on who deserves one the most. That decision is up to you.

1. James Madison

James Madison is actually seen in Hamilton briefly. His main role is just as a cameo when discussing the Constitution and as a lackey to Thomas Jefferson. In reality, James Madison was the real creator of the Constitution and was the main orchestrator of the document and the writer of the Bill of Rights. He was also the youngest of all the people at the Constitutional Convention, making the fact that he was the one who created our Nation's foundation all the more incredible. He also served as our fourth president and during that time led America through the War of 1812, America's first official conflict with another major power. His life may not be as short or romanticized as Hamilton, but it was far more outlandish and critical to America.

2. Ben Franklin

Speaking of Founding Fathers with hectic lives, we can not forget the astonishing Benjamin Franklin whose life honestly sounds like a TV series. The portly Pennsylvanian did so many things it is honestly hard to list them all. He was the unifier of the 13 colonies, the scientist who modernized electricity, an inventor, an abolitionist, creator of America's communications networks and apparently was quite popular among the ladies. At almost every major event that shaped America in its earlier years, from the Declaration of Independence to establishing our friendship with France, there was Benjamin Franklin overlooking it all.

3. Thomas Jefferson

More prominent than James Madison in Hamilton is his close friend Thomas Jefferson. This Virginian is one of the more controversial of the Founding Fathers due to his extreme beliefs and often contradictory lifestyle. Jefferson was the architect of Democracy for America. He upheld the idea of freedom for all above anything else (despite him owning slaves) and hated the Constitution as he believed it would ruin American democracy. He envisioned America as being a beautiful land based on an agrarian society where people could live free of any tyranny and deciding how they lived for themselves. Whether you love or hate him, you can't say that Jefferson's life doesn't make a great story.

4. James Monroe

It is amazing how little people know about James Monroe, America's 5th President. Monroe did a lot of notable things in his life, almost all of them beneficial to America and being part of why his time as President is often called the "Era of Good Feelings". Two of his more interesting accomplishments would be him establishing Monrovia, a city in what is now Liberia that was established by Monroe to be a place where free slaves from the United States and the Carribean could go to live. He also created the Monroe Doctrine, a document that ensured America would protect the Latin American republics that were now growing from the Kings of Europe. I can not help but envision this moment, the first time when America established itself as a world power and stood up for others, being made into an awesome musical on friendship that reminds us of what America really stands for, a safe place for all people.

5. John Brown

John Brown is either one of two things, an American hero or a terrorist. Whichever you see him as the old man who raided Harper's Ferry in 1859 in an attempt to spark a slave rebellion was one of the biggest sparks that would ignite the Civil War. A musical detailing the event could portray both sides of the man and show the tension that was growing across the country during this time and that is becoming eerily similar to how America looks now.

6. Robert E. Lee

The Civil War was not as black and white (or blue and gray) as we often like to portray it. Caught in the middle of the conflict was Robert E. Lee, one of America's greatest generals and a man of high honor. Lee did not like slavery or the idea of secession, but when Virginia chose to leave the Union he could not help but fight for his home. Lee was the champion of the South and through his amazing leadership, the rebel States that the North thought would be easily squashed were able to put up one heck of a fight. Many people immediately throw Lee in the same lot as other Southern Generals who were treasonous and did back slavery and I personally think he deserves a way for the public to learn more about the great rebel leader who hated the rebellion.

7. Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson may have had the worst presidency ever, and it isn't really his fault. The Tennesseean was the Vice President of Abraham Lincoln and when Lincoln was killed by John Wilkes Booth, Johnson suddenly was responsible for the rebuilding of a Nation that had torn itself apart. As he was a Democrat, the Republican Senate despised Johnson and did everything that they could to make his presidency next to impossible with them eventually impeaching him for unspecified reasons. The poor guy is often overlooked or laughed at for being the first President impeached when in reality all of the odds were stacked against him and he was just doing the best he could.

8. Thomas Nast

The story of Thomas Nast can not be told without also telling the story of his arch nemesis, Boss Tweed. Similar to Burr and Hamilton's epic rivalry, Nast and Tweed spent most of their careers fighting. Nast was an American cartoonist in the late 19th century who used his drawings to warn the American people against the corruption that was taking over the Nation at the time. Most of his cartoons were aimed at Boss Tweed, the leader of the New York Political Machine known as Tammany Hall. Nast and Tweed were constantly at each others throats and they are honestly my favorite feud in American History. America's Greatest Cartoonist taking on America's Greatest Political Machine Leader. Tell me that isn't an awesome story!

9. Susan B. Anthony

The fight for Woman's Suffrage is another event often overlooked in History despite it being so important. Many do not even realize that it was not until just 100 years ago that woman gainedd the right to vote! The spearhead of the movement was Susan B. Anthony who spent her entire life fighting for the rights of woman. Sadly, Anthony did not get to see the fruit of her labor as the nineteenth amendement was ratified in 1920, 16 years after Anthony had died. Anthony's life is a model for all of those who fight for freedom and she more than deserves to have her story told as fantastically as Hamilton.

10. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

FDR saved the world. When he came into office in 1932 America was in absolute shambles like most of the world, due to the global Great Depression. Franklin went straight to work when he arrived in office, doing more in his 100 days than any other President before or since. He established New Deal to fight the Depression and establish America as a country with a Government that would monitor the economy. When World War 2 began in 1939 he made America the Arsenal of Democracy and we supplied our Allies in Europe with the weaponry they needed to fight the Axis. When Pearl Harbor occured and we were brought into the war, his leadership guided us to defeat the greatest threat to World Peace that has ever existed. Oh yeah, he also did this all WITH POLIO. He is my hero in History, and he deserves at least 10 musicals as big as Hamilton.