America: Land Of The Free, Home Of The Privileged

Whether you recognize it or not, if you live in America, you have a privilege over those of other nations.

175
In-Mind

In lieu of the recent presidential election, it has come to my attention that Americans are more oblivious to their privileges than ever. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines privilege simply as "a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others"

There are various forms of privilege in the world, but many of us Americans are ignorant to the fact that we are automatically privileged by simply living in America.

Recently, there has been a social outcry by all types of minorities since Donald Trump has been elected president of the United States. They are afraid of his presidency due to his negative stances on the LGBTQ+ community, women, and immigrants that could push back the progress these groups have made in recent years.

Many privileged Americans, like Sean Hannity from Fox News, fail to realize this, calling the fearful individuals "crybabies." People like him will not be negatively affected by Trump's view of minorities; therefore; they are privileged and could not care less about what Trump thinks of these people. All that matters to many supporters of Trump is that his policies will "Make America Great Again," for them and them only.

Then, there's the other side of the spectrum that does not support Trump. Instead, they have stated that they will "move to Canada" before Trump takes office. Guess what? That's first-world privilege right there.

So many Americans are eager to flee the country because they don't like the president, but are against people from war-torn countries seeking refuge in America. Their American privilege is the belief that they will be accepted into any country without any problems yet are skeptical of the people that immigrate to America for safety reasons.

The irony and hypocrisy in America is unreal, especially among privileged populations. The election simply shined a light on the problems in our society.

As a country, we need to realize that we are not a homogeneous nation. In fact, whites are projected to become the minority in America within the next 30 years, according to Al Jazeera News.

Acceptance and tolerance is crucial should we expect to continue our progress. Many fear that Trump will make us become stagnant, or even worsen, in terms of social progression.

Personally, I think that if activist groups continue to work hard, obstacles can be overcome. We must maintain hope and positivity, no matter our leader. We must lift up and encourage one another instead of undermining others' struggles and concerns. We must act like a unified nation and uphold our values of freedom that we were founded upon.