I Am No Longer Surprised By Trump And The Republican Party

Being constantly disappointed has taken its toll.

8

I have been faced with a number of surprises throughout my young life. I was surprised when I got into my first-choice college. I was surprised when I got my first kiss. Heck, I was even surprised when I got approved to rent a house. There are many surprises in life that are good. These are the things we want to be surprised by, and love to be surprised by. For example, we love to get surprise parties. It's the thought of knowing that your friends care about you enough to throw a party for you when you least expect it.

One surprise that I will admit was not very pleasant to receive was the news that Donald J. Trump had been elected our next President. Being raised in a middle-class family and growing up in the Bay area has shaped some pretty liberal political views. Not only that, but I am also a feminist. I believe in equality for all. Donald Trump is by no means my favorite person in the world, but for sake of country unity, I accepted him as our next President and was willing to give him a chance to see if he can prove me wrong. I guess I really shouldn't have expected much. Trump has vowed to defund Planned Parenthood, reversed the right of transgender people to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with, and has basically vowed to go against everything I fundamentally agree with.

The announcement of Trump and the Republican party's new healthcare plan has left nothing but a sour taste in my mouth. The new plan has the potential to cut Medicaid with the age-based tax credits and could also put people at risk for losing the health insurance that they obtained through the Affordable Health Care Act. With this announcement also came an interesting realization. That realization is that I am no longer surprised by the constant disappointment I feel when it comes to the Trump administration and the rest of the Republican party.

I guess I should clarify. It's that I'm not surprised by the steps the Trump administration along with the Republican party. It's that I've been constantly let down by them that the tiny sliver of hope I had for the administration is nearly gone. Maybe I would feel differently if Trump acted like he wanted to talk with Democrats about their concerns, but since he has taken office there has been little to no communication. When there is communication, it's mostly vowing to undo everything Obama has done during his eight years in office.

Before I get attacked by countless Republicans telling me that I am wrong and that Trump is going to "make America great again," I am not saying that I completely agree with everything that Democratic party does and says. When it comes to the election, I blame no one except for the DNC. What I am saying is, how I can support a President who defends sexist remarks as "locker room talk" and constantly spews out lies? How can I stand behind someone and a party that thinks they have the right to determine my reproductive rights?

The message I have for Trump now is this. You may have won the election, but you did not win my vote, nor did you win the votes of a large majority of America. No, this is not fake news, it's an actual fact. The actions you have taken benefit no one except the upper class, which is a very small percentage of Americans. If you really want to "make America great again," try paying a little attention to the rest of us.