I Actually Prefer To Be The DD

I Actually Prefer To Be The DD

I know my friends are safe and that nothing bad happened to them trying to get home.
241

Growing up, I never saw my parents drinking. I've always been taught that drinking isn't the world's best thing. I've never really drank and have never ever really wanted to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to drinking and I don't shut others who drink out.

I just prefer to stay sober.

Being sober means I am aware of my surroundings. I know where I am, who I am with, who is around and am able to drive and get home safely. With that being said, I want my friends and any other person who is drinking to get home safely, too.

Every time my friends and I go out, they all pile up in my car. I end up holding six cell phones, and around three or four sets of keys to their dorms. I usually stand in the back and watch them dance because dancing with a bunch of drunken, sweaty bodies isn't my ideal night. Some nights, I don't mind getting out there and dancing, but it's kind of difficult with everything I have to hold.

Most people would rather forget everything they know and drink until they puke than be the DD.

Many people hate the idea of being a DD.

Anytime I am with my friends and someone comes up to us and notices I am sober and holding keys, they apologize. It kind of upsets me that being responsible is frowned upon, but I just smile and nod.

In the end, being a DD is rewarding because I know my friends are safe and that nothing bad happened to them trying to get home.

If you ever go out, please make sure you have someone who is sober. Do not drink and drive!