5 Things I'd Rather Do Than Go To The Gym

Even though I don't always like going to the gym, I never regret it.

113
MAGNOLIA CHARLES

If you're a student athlete like me, you know that going to the gym is important because it supplements your performance in whatever sport you play (and gym time is required for some teams). Not only is exercising important when combined with sports, but it's also an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

My sport doesn't have any gym requirements, but I go regardless. For me, the gym is one of the best ways I regulate my stress levels; however, I don't look forward to going to the gym. I push myself till my muscles ache, so I don't exactly consider it fun.

Thankfully, I have found some other forms of exercise more enjoyable than going to the gym, so I thought I'd share them with you:

1. Zumba

Zumba is my favorite group fitness class on campus because it doesn't feel like exercise. It's like a giant dance party where a group gets together and jams out to high-energy songs. I feel my increased heart beat and body temperature, but I'm enjoying myself too much to care. Plus, there is no judgement in Zumba.

2. Biking

One of the best gifts i've ever gotten was a bike last Christmas, and I love riding it around campus and on the Greenway when the weather is nice. I put my headphones in, start my Apple Watch fitness app and get pedaling, and before I know it I've biked 5 miles!

3. Walking

This one may be obvious, but it's often overlooked. Walking is an easy way to maintain your fitness. Walking up stairs, walking to classes, and even walking to the dining hall are all part of my daily routine. Staying on your feet throughout the day is a great way to stay active and boost your energy. Also, don't be afraid to take the scenic route, even if it's a bit longer.

4. Swimming

If you're lucky enough to have an outdoor pool at your school, use it! However, in the colder months when it's cold, go to an indoor pool. Check the pool's hours online and go for a dive during free-swim. Swimming is a great aerobic workout, so grab some friends and make a splash!

5. Trampolining

Last but not least, my favorite form of exercising is jumping on trampolines! There is a trampoline park near my school, and it's a great way to relieve some stress and hang out with friends. If I could, I would go everyday, but since my schedule doesn't always allot for it, I end up at the gym more than the trampoline park.

Even though I prefer these forms of exercise over going to the gym, they aren't always feasible. However, they are a great way to break up my routine so I don't get too sick of the gym. This being said, even though I don't always like going to the gym, I never regret going to the gym.