Alpha Xi Delta Adding A Blue Piece To The Millersville Puzzle

How and why the sorority is spreading autism awareness on the Millersville campus

31
Hadley Mottola

As the calendar flips from March to April, a group of young women are looking to add blue to Millersville University’s black and gold color scheme. Millersville’s Alpha Xi Delta chapter is seeking to turn Millersville blue throughout April for Autism Awareness Month.

The sorority is doing this through their partnership with Autism Speaks, a nonprofit autism advocacy organization. They sponsor autism research and hold outreach activities for the general public and families of those who are affected by autism and autism spectrum disorders.

Junior Katelyn Lamb is the Chapter President of Alpha Xi Delta at Millersville. She is in charge of all chapter activities both for Millersville and national chapters. She also stated that she feels that it’s her job to help keep the morale up for the chapter.

Lamb also stated that several of her sisters are related or very involved with people on the autism spectrum. To her, it’s awesome to be a part of the organization that is the national sponsor for Autism Speaks.

“I know I'm supporting my sisters in every way possible,” Lamb said. “It gives us all fulfillment to be a part of something that is bigger than ourselves and it’s so important to all of us.”

Personally, Alpha Xi Delta’s support for autism hits home for Lamb because of her cousin Joseph, who’s autistic.

“Autism Speaks is an organization that helps people like my cousin to get necessary resources and aid to help them realize their fullest potential,” Lamb said. “Which is also what Alpha Xi Delta is all about.”

According to Autism Speaks, autism and autism spectrum disorders, “… refer to a range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication, as well as by unique strengths and differences.” It also broadens in symptoms alongside different combinations of genetic and environmental influences. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 1 out of 68 children have autism.

Millersville’s Alpha Xi Delta chapter has been in partnership with Autism Speaks since fall of 2009. Senior Giovanna Cimino serves as the Vice President of Chapter Life for the Millersville chapter. She stated that the national chapter felt that Autism Speaks is an organization in which they could personally connect with and have an impact on. She then stated by having the opportunity to partner with Autism Speaks, in helping to raise awareness was an opportunity that could not be given up or passed over.

“They are trying to provide services for people who have autism and understand what they need in their day-to-day lives,” junior Vice President of Programs Stephanie Carpenter said.

Sophomore Laura Payea serves as the Philanthropy Chairperson for Alpha Xi Delta. She stated that Autism Speaks is looking into ways they can better understand the disorder and look at what helps families and people with autism.

According to the Autism Speaks website, the mission statement states that the organization is, “dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the lifespan, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions.”

Cimino stated that her and her sisters live out the mission statement by raising awareness and advocating for the families through several ways besides raising money for the organization.

“We all adore Autism Speaks dearly and are committed to working with the organization to live out their mission statement and embrace others to live by the mission statement as well,” Cimino said.

Alpha Xi Delta’s fundraising goal is to raise $6,000 for Autism Speaks. At their bingo event, “Xingo” that was held on March 26, the sorority raised over $3,000. This year alone, they’ve raised over $5,000, which is near their goal. Payea stated that the national chapter dictates the amount of money each chapter has to fundraise for Autism Speaks each year.

“To fulfil our goals would mean that we accomplished something that takes bigger schools one day to do,” Carpenter said. “It’s about persevering to be better and trying to make our mark in Alpha Xi Delta as a chapter.”

The sorority will kick off their month-long awareness campaign on April 1with a bake sale at John Herr’s on Manor Avenue. They will also take part in World Autism Awareness Day on April 2. They will host a bake sale on campus and wear blue on April 3. There will also be a display in the Atrium of the Student Memorial Center on April 3 and 4. They will finish April by taking part in the Lehigh Valley Autism Speaks walk and holding a Sugar Bowl fundraiser on April 29.

Chapter President Lamb sees April as a month of understanding and acceptance of autism.

“By raising awareness for autism is so great because we are way more accepting of others and how others learn or see the world differently,” Payea said.

The community impact of Alpha Xi Delta’s support for Autism Speaks had gone beyond the Millersville campus. Payea was at Kitchen Supplies store in Limerick, Pennsylvania where she came in contact with a cashier who has an autistic grandson. She told Payea that the outreach and support she feels from Autism Speaks and the support her grandson gets is truly amazing. She thanked her for working so hard for the nonprofit, so it can continue to do great things.

“I also am so touched when families talk about the love and support they feel they get from Autism Speaks and how they love what we do for them,” Payea said.

Cimino was running the information table at Open House on March 25. She was approached by a mother of two autistic children with one of them being inducted into the National Honor Society. Her and her son’s story stood out to Cimino because she told her how her kids are always told they can't do this or that because of their autism, which made Cimino distraught.

“It's not about changing the person, it's about knowing what they can do and what they need [in order] to be successful,” Payea said.

Lamb believes that autistic people should never be treated differently. She sees them as normal people who have similar wants and desires even though, they make take in sensory detail differently than her.

Cimino believes that if the campus community were to become more aware of autism, it would help to make a comfortability ring for those on the spectrum.

“People only treat people on the spectrum differently and are uncomfortable because they are unaware of what autism even is,” Lamb said. “If we make the community more aware, it will help those on the spectrum feel more comfortable and, again help them realize their potential especially while in college.”

Working with Autism Speaks has opened the minds and hearts of the sisters of Alpha Xi Delta. Their devoted support and passion for those on the autism spectrum and Autism Speaks will make others on campus want to support something bigger than themselves as well.