8 Alcohol Safety Tips For College Students

Never drive drunk and please DO NOT get in the car with someone who is planning on driving drunk.

4207
Huffington Post

This is not going to be like other "college tips" articles. Most college tips articles are about upbeat things like moving in, studying tips, and what not. However, this is a very serious and a very important topic that needs to be talked about with college students more often. And as a college student myself I see bad things happen because of alcohol abuse or just not knowing how to handle yourself while drinking. So I am here with some tips about alcohol safety!

Whether you are celebrating a game victory, finals being over, or just simply celebrating the weekend, students LOVE to party. There is absolutely nothing wrong with drinking alcohol every now and then (if you are of age). However, when you start waking up in bed with strangers and you don't know who they are or how they got there, that is NOT okay. Neither is having a horrible hangover while taking an important test, unwanted pregnancy, contracting STDs and even worse, ending up dead due to alcohol poisoning or because of a traffic incident. NEVER DRIVE DRUNK and please DO NOT get in the car with someone who is planning on driving drunk. Protect yourself and your friends while drinking, or you may end up regretting your actions.

I know these things seem horrible and you may not want to discuss them, or even think about them for that matter. But drinking doesn't have to lead to these things. Implanting these tips into your party activities can help you to avoid these things from happening.

1. Stay hydrated.

Drink plenty of water before you start drinking alcohol. Alcohol causes you to become dehydrated and the more you drink, the more thirsty you become. With water in your system, you will most likely drink slower and this way you can enjoy the alcohol and avoid blacking out.

2. Eat first.

To put it simply, without going into medical terms and complicated terminology: Drinking on an empty stomach can cause you to pass out and eating first helps you to absorb alcohol less quickly. Which means, you won't get drunk as fast, and I promise that's a good thing.

3. Alternate drinks.

By alternating alcoholic drinks with non-alcoholic drinks, you can slow down the rate of your alcohol consumption. Drinking water in between is what I personally suggest. Slow down and enjoy more.

4. Travel in pairs.

Never go to a party alone, especially women. Friends can help each other stay safe and having someone with you is the best way to keep people from taking advantage of you. I know there are different opinions about this, but it is a reality that needs to be considered.

5. Plan your transportation.

Do NOT drive to the party if you plan on drinking. Either have a DD (designated driver) or plan to take an Uber or Lyft to and from the party. If you're drinking at a friend's house then sleeping over might just be the best option.

6. Carry condoms.

I know this may seem silly and you might think "I'm not the type to have a one night stand" or any other thoughts like that. However, alcohol has a way of loosening inhibitions and one thing leads to another.. You get the picture. Unplanned pregnancy and a possible STD is definitely not worth the risk. Practice safe sex and understand that birth control will not protect you from STDs.

7. Don't let a stranger pour your drink or hand you one.

There are bad people and creeps out there with date rape drugs on hand just waiting to put them in your drinks. Either pour your drink yourself or if at a bar, make sure you see the bartender pour it for you! Males, you are not immune to this so you should be careful as well. (This article is directed at both men and women btw.) This goes along with never leaving your drink alone and if you do, get another drink!

8. Drinking at home.

Last but not least, and this is my favorite. I would rather drink at home with my friends than going out. Being at home is a safer environment for you, and you can always fall asleep right in your bed!

Now that you have this wonderful new knowledge (or just refreshed knowledge) go out and party, but keep it safe!