Airplane, Take Me Far Away: A Poem

Airplane, Take Me Far Away: A Poem

Fearless wanderer, you are far from home.

154
Airplane, Take Me Far Away: A Poem

I walked to the airplane and said, "Airplane, take me far away. I no longer feel loved or appreciated in this place. I no longer feel special or important."

The airplane responded, "Little girl -- fearless wanderer -- you are far from home. How did you come to be here?"

I quivered at the dull memory of a teacher saying not to study abroad in order to run away. I reply, "I ran away. I no longer felt recognized or appreciated at home. I felt alone and like a dreary shade of grey." I sat, putting my head in my hands. "Oh, Airplane, tell me what to do. Where can you take me that will ensure people always see and hear me. Where can you take me that will make me feel whole and cherished?"

The airplane's wings gently grazed my back to comfort me. He ponders my words for a moment. Finally, he responds.

"You and I are quite alike, young one. We both seek excitement, experience, and a role to play. We want to be responsible for the happiness of others. We long for them to see us, appreciate us and our actions. We wander from place to place, finding new passengers for our lives, wondering if this time it might be different - might be better. What you seek makes us the same, but your problem is from whom you seek the solution."

I creased my eyebrows. I gazed up at the wondrous size of him, wondering how anyone could fail to see his purpose, beauty, and call for recognition. He connects every place in the world -- each human being. How could he feel what I do? He is hope and flight and freedom. The sky calls for him, as does the landing strip. The people cheer and holler at his landings, thanking him with relieved sighs and smiles. How could he not see this?

"I seek love from the most important people in my life -- my family, friends, significant other. How is that wrong?" I asked in a whisper.

He responded, "Dear one, what you seek cannot come from others. The only place I can take you to find this appreciation you long for is your soul, your heart. Although these people may see and hear you, you might as well be blind to their care if you do not see these things in yourself. Your setting isn't what needs to change, nor the people. Rather, it is you who needs to see and hear and appreciate yourself -- your beauty, your brilliance, your achievements. You are your own solution for peace. Be strong, be free, and be your own."

With that, he flew off into the stars. I spread my wings and followed after him.

This poem by Aubrey Clark was inspired by another poem, "On This The 100th Anniversary of the Sinking of the Titanic, We Reconsider the Buoyancy of the Human Heart," by Laura Lamb Brown-Lavoie. Be sure to check it out!