Not Knowing What To Do After High School

Not Knowing What You Want To Do After High School Is OK And Actually Super Normal

After high school is a scary time, and sometimes, we don't know what we want to do. Not knowing what you want to do is OK.

136

Senior year of high school, the year of lasts as you finish out your high school career. A year that comes with lots of decisions to make about the years to come. I was once that high school senior, scared out of her mind because she had no idea what she wanted to do.

Well, I'm here to tell you that's OK.

In the fall of my senior year I got accepted to my dream school, and I thought I had everything figured out. I thought I had nothing to worry about since I was accepted into my dream college.

Boy, was I wrong.

Getting accepted was the easy part. Then, came the price tag, the fear of loans and everything in between. Later on in the year I thought about all of it and decided it was best not to go to that college.

It wasn't the right time for me, and I didn't feel like I would be at home there. So I sat down with my parents and decided on going to a two year college, just to get my associate's degree.

Now, I am still going to attend a college this fall, but what if I didn't want to?

After high school is such a scary time, and sometimes, we feel the need to go to college. It is like we are getting told that college is the only option, but it isn't. There are many options, such as a gap year, working a part time job or getting an apprenticeship.

Yet, if we choose those choices we get ridiculed by friends and family for not choosing a four year school. A four year college isn't for everyone, maybe it is a two year school, apprenticeship or even a gap year.

No matter where you choose to go after high school, we shouldn't ridicule someone for doing something we aren't. Everyone has a different path that they need to take, and they will find their way in their own time.

I would be proud to know anyone who is going to a four year college, a two year college, doing an apprenticeship or just taking a gap year.

We will all find our way, and I know it might seem scary now, but you will get through it. Not knowing what you want to do is OK. Having too many dreams is OK. And chasing after those dreams is OK.

No matter what you do He has a plan for you, and He will get you where you need to go. He has a plan for your life, even after high school. We are all placed in positions for a reason, just trust what He wants to do in your life in that moment.