AFC Playoff teams going into this season

Which 2018 AFC Playoff Team May Find Themselves Missing The Postseason?

Buffalo Bills, we're looking at you.

59
Instagram

New England Patriots – 2017 1st Seed

It would be the biggest shock of the season if the Patriots missed out on the playoffs so not much needs to be written here. Brady and Belichick are still around and there are no real challenges coming from the AFC East to knock them off. Expect the Patriots to earn a first-round bye again this season.

Pittsburgh Steelers – 2017 2nd Seed

The Steelers look like the best team in their division again this year. With Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown, and Le'Veon Bell the Steelers have the foundation for a top offense year in and year out. Le'veon's absence due to a contract holdout shouldn't be too much of an issue even if he has a slow start to the season as the Steelers first three opponents – at Cleveland, home vs Kansas City, and at Tampa Bay – are beatable. The Steelers should win their division as their only real competition is the Ravens, who have a stout defense but are also starting Joe Flacco.

Jacksonville Jaguars – 2017 3rd Seed

The Jacksonville defense allowed the lowest passer rating in the league, had the second most sacks in the NFL (Pittsburgh,) and had the second most interceptions in the league (Baltimore). With one of the nastiest defenses in the league and the best pass defense in the league, the Jaguars should be looking to dominate through defense and running the ball in 2018. With a healthy Leonard Fournette – 4.5 yards per carry (ypc) before a week six ankle injury, 3.2 ypc after he returned – the Jaguars have a dominant runner to match with their devastating defense. Short of injury, the only player that could stop another playoff run for Jacksonville is newly extended QB Blake Bortles.

Kansas City Chiefs – 2017 4th Seed

This one here is the first real toss-up. The Chiefs must fend off an interesting Chargers team, the Raiders led by Jon Gruden, and the Broncos with new QB Case Keenum. ALL while handing second-year player Patrick Mahomes the reins of the offense. An argument could be made for any of these teams to be the best team in the division or the worst. Two teams are bringing on a new QB, one changed head coaches, and the football gods seem to have it out for the Chargers every season. Last year the Kansans City defense was not very good – 29th in passing yards, 25th in rushing yards – and yet they traded Marcus Peters, a 2x Pro Bowl cornerback entering his fourth season in the league. Pairing up a questionable defense with a quarterback who has only started one game in the NFL is playing with fire, and it may cost Kansas City a spot in the playoffs.

Tennessee Titans– 2017 5th Seed

Even though they made the playoffs last season the Tennessee Titans fired head coach Mike Mularkey in an effort to create a more effective offense around Marcus Mariota. To do that they hired Mike Vrabel, the defensive coordinator of the Texans last season, to be the new head coach, and brought along Matt LaFleur who coached for the Rams last season under Sean McVay. In order to stay competitive, the Titans need their new offense to gel quickly as they are facing stiff competition in the AFC South. With Andrew Luck and Deshaun Watson returning from injury, suddenly this division has two QB's who can be elite to pair with one of the most terrifying defenses in Jacksonville. With a revitalized AFC South, the Titans may find themselves squeezed out of the playoffs this season.

Buffalo Bills – 2017 6th Seed

After finally ending their seventeen-year playoff drought, the Bills are in a position to miss the playoffs this season. For a first-year head coach, getting knocked out in the first round but snapping a generation-long playoff drought is as good of a start as Sean McDermott could have expected. However, trading Tyrod Taylor to the Browns and signing AJ McCarron and drafting Josh Allen to replace him is not a recipe to win big in year two. Starting an inexperienced quarterback behind an offensive line that is replacing both guards and a center is risky and could put the Bills in an early hole. With virtually no chance of unseating the Patriots, the Bills will have to fight for one of the two Wild Card spots available.