Advice To A High School Athlete

Advice To A High School Athlete

Let your dreams guide you.

111
Advice To A High School Athlete
Instagram

This past Friday I went to my first high school football game as an alumni, and I have to say that I was overcome with nostalgia. Not because I miss high school, but because I miss being able to represent my school. I miss being able to cheer my friends on from the student section. I miss the feeling of representing my school once I stepped on the field. I miss feeling like my ability in sports could make my community proud. But as I was sitting at the game this past Friday I realized something. Two years prior, the year my brother was a senior, I can remember a whole other group of kids striving for the pride of their community, embodying the same number on the back and the same team on the front. I look onto the field and see the same jersey my brother wore and it hit me. You have a moment to make your mark on your school and on your sport. A moment. And sometimes no matter how hard we work.. That moment never comes. The thing is life is always moving forward, never backward. So while in the moment, you may feel great and on top, but it will fade. Because everyone else is hoping someday there will be someone greater than you that could do more for the sport and the community. So seize your moment.

My senior year I played soccer. A sport I had played since I could even remember. It was a sport I loved. The game changed me and made me who I am today. All through high school I was told my grade would be the one to make a name for our soccer program, we would put the trophy in the trophy case where the dust had been collecting for many years. I would be lying if I told you we weren't a talented group. So as we entered our first game of districts, heads held high, hopes even higher, we played hard. But the other team played harder. With a very unsatisfying loss I walked off the field for my very last time.. That was it. I sat in the locker room tears streaming and empty hands quivering in confusion. How could that be it? I worked my whole life for this moment and, and I lost? I finally picked my head up to see my teammates who had seen me through some of the roughest times of my life. I see their eyes covered in tears. This was really it. We walked out of the locker room for our last time to greet our families who would share their condolences and walk us out of those gates one last time. We then got in our cars and left, never to speak of that night again.

I turned my jersey in during the summer knowing someone else would be wearing my same number and someone would replace my position also. I hope they play it well, I hope they wear that number proud. I hope they win the title I never could. I hope they work harder and dream bigger. I hope they put their team first and I hope they have fun. I hope they sing loud on the bus ride to and from games. I hope they use their losses as fuel and their victories as stepping stones. I hope they do better than I ever could..

So here is my advice for all high school athletes:

1. DO NOT GIVE UP.

Whether it is in a game, at practice, or at school never give up. You have to work as hard you can in everything you do. If I could go back in time I would have ran more when I thought I couldn't, I would have sprinted faster when I thought my legs wouldn't and I would have worked harder when I thought my body was telling me I shouldn’t. Don't give up on your teammates and most of all don't give up on yourself. You can't begin to appreciate your teammates abilities if you can’t appreciate your own. Don't give up on the game and don't give up on your goals.

2. PLAY FOR YOUR TEAM INSTEAD OF YOURSELF.

Be a selfless player. If you put we before me I promise you will then have success. That was a big prwoblem my team encountered throughout my high school career. Too often people put their personal goals and need for recognition above what is best for the team. I believe one of the biggest compliments a person can receive is being a team player. Don’t be the person who tears the whole team apart with selfish ambitions. Be the one to pull everyone together with your acts of selflessness.

3. BELIEVE IN THE UNBELIEVABLE

To often the importance of positivity and optimism is seen as unrealistic. When in fact the greatest victories of all time were sported with a optimistic leader. People often feel that if they believe in themselves and their teams ability they are putting a lot on the line because if they lose then you are made to look a fool. But that is not the case. The only time you look like a fool is when you have zero faith in your team’s ambition to defeat unthought of obstacles. This was one of the largest reasons my team lost in districts, we didn't have faith.

Some of my greatest memories of my life came from playing sports, along with some of my greatest friendships. Soccer taught me how to rise to the challenge and how to stand after being knocked down. Sports are rarely about the impact we have on them but the impact they have on us. Before you know it, you to will be walking off the field for the very last time. You see no matter if my team lost or won districts it would come to the end eventually. So do not waste a single moment worrying about anything but enjoying your time on the field. The only thing you will regret is everything you didn't do to your fullest. So save your excuses and take more chances. I pray every athlete finds their path and learns how to respect and appreciate those around them. God Bless.