Advice To A College Freshman From A Girl In Her Last Semester

Not that I'm qualified in any way to be giving innocent souls my unsolicited advice but...

389

I'm about to state something that is equal parts truthful and cliche. I've said it a thousand times. You've heard a thousand other people say it a thousand times. When you take an Intro to Creative Writing class as an elective your sophomore year, it's probably what you'll write about. Here it is:

I'm not the same person I was in high school.

And I mean it. Of course, that's not to say I've conformed into some plastic, fake tanned, boobs-up-to-here, life size Barbie that may be expected of a college girl like me. It's also not to say I've left myself behind.

I'm still me. I'm a soft-spoken, awkward, playfully anxious, introverted, curious little ball of a gal. But since I've come to college, I've learned how to live with myself -- all of myself. I know confidence now. I know self worth. I'm learning to practice gratitude, meditation, and empathy.

Of course, I'm still growing. I don't have all the answers by any means. But I do know some things now that I would have loved to have known when I was a freshman. So, I figured, why not share them?

Take this advice with a grain of salt. Everyone's experiences are different. This is all just based on mine. Whatever you decide to do, do it with some pizazz and know that I'm rooting for you.

(Forewarning: If you're looking for advice on fraternity and sorority life, this is not the place. I didn't rush. I did my own damn thang and I have no regrets.)

First and foremost, RELAX.

I know you're nervous, and that's okay. So is literally every other freshman next to you. More than likely, no one else knows more than a couple of people. Everyone is trying to make new friends while also balancing a social life with their academics AND navigate a whole new campus, lifestyle, and maybe a new job... all at the same time. It's a lot. Believe me when I say you are not alone. I hope you can take comfort in at least that.

Go to the freshman social events!

...or don't. It's literally completely up to you. This is your life. If being in an overly crowded, high energy atmosphere doesn't sound like a pleasant time to you, there's absolutely no harm in staying home. But, I will say, if that's what you choose to do, try to at least find a person to chill with on your dorm floor or in one of your classes. (Trust me, having even just one person to spend time and study with makes ALL the difference.)

For the love of God, do not use your new lanyard.

Okay, this sounds like a sillier bit of advice, I'll admit, but hear me out. When you wear your lanyard, you are basically shouting, "HI I'M A GOOFBALL NEWBIE FRESHMAN" to all of campus. That includes gross college guys who find young freshman girls hotter than ever for reasons I still don't understand. (Some literally have competitions to see who can hook up with the most freshman chicks. Just sayin'.) The lanyard is also basically an invitation for anyone, especially organization recruiters, to come up and talk to you. Some people may enjoy that, but if you're anything like me, you'll want to throw the friggin' thing out.

Get a bank account with a bank in your new town.

Don't ask questions. Just do it. It'll save you a whole lot of time and hassle.

Buy a planner, and stick to it.

Take it with you to every single class. Write down every single assignment and its due date. Make reminders. Color code it if you feel the need. This can and will save your life, and I'm telling you, that is not an exaggeration.

Don't blow off your gen eds

Make no mistake, it's not the end all be all of your college career. But, your gen ed GPA is often just as important as your major GPA. Take it from me, do not low ball your homework assignments and don't neglect your resources, like the library and campus tutoring services. Also, don't skip class just because it's an 8 AM and you're too tired to go. Which brings me to another point...

Avoid 8 AM classes at all cost

You may think, "Oh, I've been getting up at 7 AM to go to school since 1st grade anyway, a few 8 AM classes won't hurt, right?" Wrong. Girl, listen. You're in college now. Your parents aren't around to tell you to go to bed. No matter what you tell yourself, you are going to be staying up later than usual, whether it's because you're studying, exploring the town, or hanging out with your floor mates in the common areas. Give yourself time to sleep and, if you can, avoid taking any classes until 9 AM at the very least.

Take a few weird electives, because you can!

Branch out! You're required to have a certain number of electives to graduate in a variety of fun new categories, so you might as well open up your mind and do some exploring. It might even lead you to your new passion. From ceramics to foreign language to anthropology to Coffee 101, you're bound to find something you'll love, or at least something that broadens your perspective.

Don't be afraid to change your major

I was undeclared for two years before declaring a major in Elementary Education, then changing it to Technical Writing after one single semester. It extended the time I had until my graduation by one semester, but do I regret my decision? NOPE. As much as I love the brilliant minds and playful nature of little kiddos, I realized very quickly that I would be miserable as a full-time teacher. I've since found my passion in writing, editing, and designing and am such a happy camper. So take it from me, if you feel miserable or unfit in whatever major you've landed in, there's probably a reason, and there is absolutely no shame in taking a step in different direction. That's what college is all about.

Last but not least, tend to yourself.

You're about to make some amazing memories. College is made up of some of the best years of your life, but also keep in mind that it can be pretty tough. You're about to experience some really difficult classes, have some late nights, and go through a lot of personal change in general. You may be lonely at first, and that's okay. You might fail a class for the first time ever. It happens to the best of us. The possibilities are almost endless. For all these reasons, keep your mental health in check. Don't be afraid to reach out to your professors or your RA if you need help with anything. Call your mom, your dad, or whoever if you need to talk something through, or even if you just miss them. They miss you too. If you need to, take a mental health day. Have a nice bubble bath. Visit the humane society and play with some puppies. Do what you need to do to stay sane, but whatever you do, keep an open mind and embrace the change.