Steps Internship Advice

Here's Some Advice To Those Who Struggle To Get Internships

It's more like five pieces of advice, so sit tight: it's going to be a bumpy ride!

70
Pexels / mentatdgt
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-sitting-on-gray-chair-1543895/?utm_content=attributionCopyText&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pexels

For someone who has had four different internships over four years of high school, trust me when I say that they are no joke and the process of even getting one is no piece of cake.

Getting a medical internship, for instance, is no joke when considering HIPPA laws and million others that get you rejected from 2/3rd of the medical clinics you ask at. IT internships are not so easy to come by taking into account how competitive they are and how intensive their screening process is and its safe to assume getting internship in any field is no easy feat. The difficult part is always where to start, so here are 5 steps that can hopefully help you snag that internship.

Step 1: Don't hesitate to ask anybody for opportunity.

Hoping the meeting is not as awkward as this.

media.giphy.com

Unless you have a doctor or engineer in the family or some really good connections one can feel lost on where and who to ask for an internship. Look for hospitals and clinics in near you area and contact them asking if they accept students as interns. You can also email a professionals in a field that interests you. Usually small or independent companies such as Urgent Care in the medical field are always looking out for extra help. Places like Northside Hospital have volunteering programs during the summer; Dunwoody Pediatrics is always looking for students to help out. If you are looking for internships more on the research side, Emory University has cancer research opportunities for students over the age of 17.

If you are not comfortable directly contacting businesses, as a last resort you can use contacts you already have in your arsenal to spread the word around that you are searching for an internship.

Step 2: Don't forget when organic life forms yield no result, digital forms certainly do.

As a last resort, use the internet as your friend! Typing in "medical internships" or "internships of art students" usually yields opportunities that may be helpful but could be scattered around the world and may or may not be available in your vicinity. One can also use blog forums such as Reddit and Chegg to find internships available in your area; the HOSA website also lists down available internships opportunities around the country which you should definitely check out.

3. Step 3: Don't forget to be professional

Type away

Once have accomplished finding a company or professional who you are interested in shadowing, it is important that you reach out to them via email introducing yourself and highlighting your what you want to take away from this experience. It is crucial that the email be kept short and to the point but not compensating on being professional.

Explicitly stating goals you want to achieve and asking what they expect from you as an intern, shows commitment which will set you apart from other competitors. If necessary attach a resume or keep it ready when asked for one.

If multiple emails have been exchanged, don't forget to state time and days you will be available to intern so that there is open communication reducing the chances of miscommunication.

4. Step 4: Treat that application like a college one

Channel your inner SpongeBob with those applications

You may find that the internships you seek require you to complete an application. it is important that you answer the questions truthfully maybe exaggerating the truth here and there, but not outright lying. One of the most frequently asked question is, "Why do you want to join so and so". Answering the question by more "show" than "tell" will make your application stand out. Even if you have not won medals, giving evidence that you truly passionate about this field can also come from an art project, coding club you opened in school, a HOSA conference you attended or even an interesting discussion you had with a teacher you had on biomedical research.

Find small instances and suck the meaningful moment out of them that "show" that you are truly committed to this internship if you get it. Don't forget to proofread the application yourself before giving someone else to read through it yourself. Simple grammar or spelling mistakes will make application stand out in a not so good way.

5. Step 5: Treat an interview like a dialogue exchange

It's probably not going to be this intimidating

If you are someone who dreads interviews, don't worry you are not alone. Interviews can get intimidating when the interviewee establishes the interview as an authority figure; think of the interview as an acquaintance or even as a friend who is just asking you to tell your side of the story. General questions like, "What are you strength and weaknesses?", "What ideas do you have for this opportunity?" or even "What do you want to achieve from this platform?" are all questions that someone who is inquisitive to know more about you may ask so, it is crucial that you answer them with full sincerity and passion.

Another trick to prepare for interviews is to talk to answer potential interview questions in the mirror; by talking to yourself, you not only mold a better response each time but also build up confidence by looking your self in the eye. Lastly, if all else fails remember your biggest asset is you! Showing an honest clean image of your character in the face of pressure can truly set you apart from your competitors.