20 Pieces Of Advice I Wish I Could Tell My Teenaged Self

As I turn 20 years old, it's time to embrace the unknown of adulthood

11
Liz Martinez

As my 20th birthday looms right around the corner, I can not help but have an identity and life crisis. I know this is "the time of my life" and that "my life has not even begun," but how does one accept their teenage years are coming to a close? I grew out of all those Hollister and Aeropostle tees, I experienced the pain teenage angst and I went to prom with friends in an expensive dress. Everything I looked forward to that was guaranteed has happened and now it is time to embrace the unknown of adulthood. I would not change a thing when it comes to how I grew from age 13 to 19, but there are some things I wish I knew. Here is a list of advice I would give my teenage self.

1. Experience is worth so much more than material things

Travel while you are young and able!

2. Breakups are inevitable

If you have never broken up with a friend or lover than you are not growing.

3. It is ok to plan but your plan probably won't follow through

You can prepare for everything, but life just will not let you most of the time. Go with the flow.

4. Be sure to cleanse every once in awhile

Cleanse from technology or juice cleanses... whatever recharges you!

5. Educate yourself about other lifestyles

Not everyone has the same morals, religion or cultures as you. Be respectful.

6. "Oh well" is better than "what if?"

Take a risk and surprise yourself.

7. Be proud of who you are

Do not be ashamed of your music taste, sexuality or anything that makes you, YOU!

8. Embrace failure

Even if they hurt at least you will be put on the right path.

9. Be less judgmental

The kinder you speak or think of other people, the happier you will be.

10. Distance does make the heart grow fonder

Learn to appreciate people when they are here and how to love them when they're away.

11. Everyone is going through something

You have no idea what battles people are going through. Kindness and consideration for everyone goes a long way.

12. Do not abandon your friends

Especially if you get in a relationship. Who is going to be there for you if things go wrong?

13. Kindness is your greatest strength

When it comes to others or even yourself.

14. Having an open mind is powerful

Put your own opinions to the side for awhile and listen to every side of an argument.

15. Move on when it is time

If someone does not want you it is their loss. There are plenty of others who do.

16. Procrastination is just a fear of rejection or failure

Recognize that and learn to be proactive sometimes.

17. Wear the practical shoes

That is it. End of discussion.

18. Listen to your gut

It does not want to steer you wrong.

19. Do more listening than talking

It is really important.

20. You will survive a broken heart

You have survived every heartache of your life even though it did not feel like you would. So your chances are pretty good. You will always have the ability to make it to age 20.