6 Key Pieces Of Advice For High School Seniors From A College Freshman

"Do make new friends, but keep the old..."

123
JodyHongFilms

I officially have a week of college classes under my belt, and I can say that all of the advice you hear from college students about time management, dorm living, and gross food is all true. From having to do your own laundry, being responsible for cleaning your side of the room and not having someone yelling at you to do it, to taking care of yourself and making sure to eat (I promise it's an actual issue in college), and getting used to sharing a room with someone you may or may know.

College is the best experience ever, and the scariest experience ever. Take it from someone of who was scared to death to be out in the world trying to make a career for myself. Be glad for the time you're a high school senior, because your life is about to change DRASTICALLY. This is my advice for the high school seniors, getting ready to head to college.

1. DO enjoy Senioritis

I know, I know. You've never heard this before and must think I'm crazy. But college is actually more difficult than high school and you have to work for your grades. There isn't an "easy" class where you can sit around and not do your homework and still get an A.

So if you get a severe case of Senioritis and don't have the motivation to do any work, don't. Just enjoy this while you can, because before you know it you'll actually have to do your work.

2. Read the textbooks

So funny story: You actually HAVE to read the textbooks in college. If you don't read the textbook, I can guarantee you won't pass and you WILL be wasting you or your parents money. So please, actually read the assigned text in high school so you can get a head start for college.

3. Do go to Starbucks everyday

On my campus, there is a Starbucks that you can use your dining dollars in, along with other miscellaneous convenience stores. Do go to Starbucks everyday and don't worry about running out of dining dollars. If you do run out, there's always cold hard cash.

So take my advice and start figuring out Starbucks secret menu now. (I recommend the grande hot White Chocolate Mocha. Best decision you'll ever make.)

4. Make new friends, but keep the old

Go introduce yourself to the people living around you on move in day. They might end up being your best friends. I'm so glad I did, because now I have a group of girls that I talk to everyday and I know I have a group to go to Taco Bell with at midnight on a school night.

But this being said, make sure to keep up with your friends at home or the ones going to different colleges. You don't want to get too caught up in making new friends that you forget about the old that have always been there for you.

5. Have fun during Welcome Week

I know first hand that Welcome Week can be a drag. You just got to college and you just want to explore the campus and the new city that you may be living in. But the Welcome Week activities get in the way of building lifelong friendships and picking the perfect study spot on campus.

But I assure you, all of the activities have been well thought out, and designed for new students. So please, get to know your group and just have fun.

6. Most importantly... Make sure to make every moment count when you're with your family

In college, you may think you won't miss your family. But let me tell you... Homesickness is real. You miss your parents, you miss your dog, you miss the food that you always have, and you miss hanging out with friends that you have known forever and feel comfortable being yourself around. So before you get excited and complain and say "I'm SO ready for college and to get out of here" PLEASE take this into consideration. You'll miss home more than what you thought.

I hope this gives a few helpful tips to the antsy high school seniors that are just ready to be on their own and having fun in college. While it is fun to do spontaneous food runs, mingle with boys every night, and to live on your own, it is also a little scary. And never be afraid to admit how much you miss good ole Mom and Dad.