My Adventure Into The Amazon

My Adventure Into The Amazon

What to expect during a week's stay in Puerto Maldonado.

9
My Adventure Into The Amazon
Sara Keilty

I spent a week in the Amazon Jungle. It's one of those once in a lifetime trips that I often wonder how I survived. I enjoy nature and I'm not totally squeamish about bugs, but the Amazon seemed like an entirely other beast. Think Florida's insects, humidity, and swamp land and then triple it. The trees are bigger, the animals more dangerous, and the tour companies a little sketchy. I was practically kissing people on the streets when I finally emerged from the brush at the end of the week. That being said, I wouldn't go back and change a thing. It was a thrilling adventure that stretched me far out of my comfort zone (and hey! I survived!). If you're wondering what one would expect to encounter or need to know in the jungle, I've listed a few things that I experienced.

Mosquitos and Long Pants

Bring bug spray and don’t forget to get your vaccinations. The mosquitos are no joke. You’ll be swatting at the little pests in the shower, at breakfast, on your nature hikes, at lunch, on the river tour, at dinner, while walking at night, and brushing your teeth. The only safe haven might be your bed, thanks to the provided bug net. There’s still a chance you’ll wake up scratching though. These small, itchy, red spots can become more than an inconvenience unfortunately. Malaria, Dengue, and Yellow Fever are a risk while visiting certain areas of the Amazon. Make sure to check with your state health department about disease and vaccination information. You can also limit your chance of getting bit by wearing long clothing and buying bug spray that contains Deet.

Night Walks and Creepy Crawlers

Afraid of the dark? Stay out of the jungle. A lot of the animals, and especially insects, are more nocturnal creatures. It’s safe to say that your tour group will take you on numerous night hikes. These are single file walks through the Amazon jungle that are guided (make sure you’re not at the back of the line) along unlit pathways. Don’t expect anything to be behind glass or contained. You’ll be able to reach out and touch anything you come across as long as you catch it before it scurries away (Totally joking. Most things you come across can be hazardous to your health if touched). Your phone’s flashlight is the perfect guide as you encounter anacondas, tarantulas, and bullet ants (Yes, I saw all three). Hear your tour guide tell the harrowing story of the time a jaguar “wandered down the mountain” and jump when a leaf brushes your shoulder. Happy hiking!

Murky Water and Caiman

You’ll be on a boat quite a bit in the Amazon. It’s the main transportation to your lodging, a good way to spot tree top animals, arrive at other jungle destinations, and experience the Amazon’s aquatic life. I’m sure, like me, the first thing you’ll notice is that the water is anything but clear. The water reminded much of thinned, liquid mud. I was given an opportunity to swim in it, but the choice will be up to you after spending the week fishing for piranha and hunting Caiman (crocodiles). The truth is that if those creatures do decide to go after you, you won’t even see them coming.

No Wi-Fi and Bonding Time

Leave your laptops at home -- they’ll be no use in the Amazon. Electricity in general is a scarce commodity, which you’ll discover after being served warm, liquefied Jell-O. That means downloading your Spotify music beforehand, bringing an extra battery for your camera, and a thick book. There will be plenty of down time in-between activities. I spent most of my time writing letters to my family (The kind that says which relative can have which of my personal items. I wasn’t sure I’d be making it out of the jungle) and getting to know my Amazon tour group. There are plenty of times I wish I could be sitting under a mosquito net, playing cards in the middle of the night, with another adventurous soul like mine. (Okay, maybe minus all the creepy crawly bugs.)

Wanna follow more of my travels? Check me out on Instagram.