10 Signs You're Addicted To Social Media And Desperately Need A Hiatus

If this list resonated with you, it's about time for a hiatus.

9

There's a fine line between being connected and being addicted. However, sometimes it helps to be cognizant of the fact that social media apps have been manufactured to keep us hooked to our screens. If you need clarity on whether or not your social media use is a problem, this article is for you.

1. The first thought you have in the morning is to check Instagram and Snapchat for notifications

Unsplash

The day can't start unless you have spent at least 20 minutes doing so. It's also the last thought you have at night. Sometimes you lose sleep, endlessly scrolling.

2. You’re not fully present with the people around you

Even if you're not being the worst by checking your phone while you have a whole person in front of you, your mind is still with your phone.

3. You feel uncomfortable if you can’t reach your phone

Unsplash

If you're in a situation where you can't check your apps, you will escape to the bathroom to sneak a peek.

4. You spend hours obsessing over the details of the pictures you post

You spend hours more, constantly refreshing the page for comments or likes.

5. You care more about the virtual world than the real world

You don't care about keeping up with your friends, but you hold a grudge when someone doesn't like your photo.

6. You’re living your life for likes

Unsplash

Sometimes you will go out of your way for the aesthetic post. You might even buy food you have no desire to eat, just to look cute on your story. When you get together with your friends, taking pictures is the main event. In the back of your mind, you're already planning your caption.

7. Your mind feels hazy

Unsplash

You feel like your attention span is nonexistent. All those hours in front of a screen will do that to you!

8. You don’t even want to be on your phone but you keep finding yourself scrolling

Unsplash

You have no idea how you planned to do one thing, and then ended up on the explore page for hours. It's like you blacked out. You hate yourself for it. You would much rather be reading a book, or catching up on your work- but it feels like you have no control.

9. You’re socially drained

Unsplash

You're replying to DMs and comments out of a force of habit, and you're so tired of responding to every notification. By the time people come to talk to you in the real world, you have no energy to spare.

10. Your priorities aren’t straight

Unsplash

You are behind on all of your work yet you still make time for social media. Just deactivate your accounts already, before you lose any more precious time.