Adderall Abuse Is A College Epidemic

Adderall Abuse Is A College Epidemic

My thoughts on the misuse of Adderall by college students.

326
Adderall Abuse Is A College Epidemic
pexels.com

We've all seen it happen. The relentless abuse of Adderall on college campuses is an overwhelmingly prevalent issue in our ever-evolving society. Shameless drug trading goes on within even the most prestigious of universities. Many psychologists, sociologists, and philosophers are questioning how this all came to be.

The answer may not be as complicated as presumed. As a college student myself, I can attest to many of my fellow classmates popping pill after pill to attain the grades they want. However, this emphasis placed on grades is rooted in something bigger. The importance of academic success has been drilled into us for quite some time.

Since we first began school, we have been ranked, graded and categorized based on our performance. This occurred in every aspect of our education, conditioning us to yearn for nothing less than academic perfection.

Elementary and middle school wired this ideology into our minds early on. For example, if you were a great volleyball player, you made the A team. If your skills were inferior, you made the B Team. If you succeeded scholastically, you were labeled as “gifted” and placed into special programs that catered to your talented mind.

The constant pressure to be the best was only further enabled in high school. There were certain organizations that only the smartest kids were eligible for, such as National Honors Society or Academic Decathlon. We all competed with one another for the highest grade point average and greatest extracurricular involvements.

Hence, the desire to perform to the best of our abilities is not a new phenomenon. We have been conditioned since childhood to thirst for academic excellence. Consequently, success has become not only an expectation but an obsession.

So, how does this relate to Adderall abuse? Simple. Adderall is a stimulant that prompts quick, energetic and focused thinking. It is the perfect tool for studying effectively and temporarily increasing one’s aptitude. This, of course, is incredibly appealing to stressed college students.

As a result, the demand for Adderall across college campuses has been increasingly high. Students worried about their grades no longer have to spend infinite hours studying, as Adderall can provide them with the focus necessary to finish their work swiftly and more efficiently.

Though cognitive enhancement is a positive effect, Adderall can have various negative effects as well. The main problem is that it results in users growing utterly dependent on it.

This amphetamine can increase one's tolerance to the effects of the drug, making it necessary to take more and more to experience its full effects. The use of this "study drug" by students without a legitimate medical need for it is therefore not only illegal but highly addictive.

Unfortunately, the selling of Adderall within college campuses has become vastly normalized. I have personally witnessed multiple drug deals occur right before my eyes at the library, study rooms and even during class.

I have spoken to many of my classmates about the selling of amphetamines to comprehend how it occurs. They've told me that it is painfully easy to buy, all one would need to do is ask.

Adderall is often sold by students who suffer from ADHD and have actual prescriptions for it. Despite genuinely needing the Adderall themselves, students with ADHD are likely to sell some on the side as well. It's a quick and easy money making business.

However, I'm also aware of many students faking having ADHD to their psychiatrists. Students will intentionally fail diagnostic tests to get their hands on the magic pills that will make them "smarter".

Thus, it is apparent that Adderall is within close reach of any college student wanting to give it a try. Yet, the most dangerous part of it all is how deeply uneducated young users are about the drug.

Adderall, Vyvanse and other amphetamines can severely interact with other prescription medications. Antidepressants, sedatives, and antipsychotics can greatly affect one's body when Adderall is added to the equation. Of course, most college students popping four pills a day don't know this.

Even further, the mixing of alcohol and Adderall (which happens quite often on college campuses) can result in harmful, unpredictable side effects. There have been countless reports of seizures, tremors, convulsions, paranoia and even death as a result of using both drugs in conjunction.

Therefore, using Adderall without understanding all it encompasses can be detrimental and even fatal. Yet, can we really blame these anxious college students for using something that helps them excel in school?

We are merely the products of our society. We were taught to value competition, success, money, and ambition. Why is it such a shock that we are doing whatever it takes to come out on top?

Students are working diligently to attain the grades that will make them competitive candidates in our capitalist job market. Job offers are dwindling and with them, the flexibility of employers. It is now known that to get hired, one must be exceptional.

This pressure of not being qualified enough for a career in the real world is partially what led college students to turn to Adderall. Many feel a need to enhance their abilities in order to come out successful. It’s all about building an impressive resume, getting the job and making the big bucks. I mean, what else could there be to life, right?

You see, in the mind of a college student, Adderall leads to good grades which lead to job offers which lead to money. We are the capitalist, consumerist pigs that society always wanted us to be.

Thus, the rise of Adderall abuse among college campuses should come as no surprise. Students have been wired to want success and whatever tools make the acquisition of that success more likely.

Nonetheless, as someone who actually suffers from ADHD, I am greatly frustrated by this constant drug abuse. Firstly, it is not fair to those who genuinely need Adderall that everyone else gets to reap its benefits.

The whole point of me being prescribed to this medication is that it allows me to be on an equal playing field with other students. So, if everyone is on Adderall, it defeats the entire purpose.

More importantly, the abuse of Adderall is incredibly dangerous. It hurts me to see my friends and fellow classmates experience terrible side effects yet continue to justify their abuse of amphetamines.

The problem is big and it is clear. We need to act and do something about this widespread, prevalent issue that is occurring within our own universities. Drug misuse and addiction should not be taken lightly.

Those in positions of power should be addressing this epidemic, for it is long overdue that they intervene. However, we can all do our part in keeping our friends safe by educating ourselves on the dangers of drug abuse. We must stay informed, make wise decisions and take care of one another.

Links for more information:

https://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-releases/2016/adde...

https://oceanbreezerecovery.org/college-addiction/...

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/college/a61827/ivy-le...