What to Do When You're Single on Valentine's Day

6 Things To Do When You're Single On Valentine's Day

Don't let the couples get you down.

130
Cathal Mac
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1523356393945-1f57f04f73b1?ixlib=rb-1.2.1&ixid=eyJhcHBfaWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1500&q=80

For decades, Valentine's Day has been generally known as the holiday of love. Although some find Valentine's Day to be annoying and criticize it for capitalism (the total expected amount spent this year is nearly $20.7 billion, according to the National Retail Foundation), there's still a lot to love about it.

If you're single during this time of year, don't let the couples get you down. Let them do their thing, whether it be a fancy candlelit dinner or walk on the beach. You can do your own thing and still be content while being single. Let this be a reminder that being alone is not equivalent to being lonely. Here are some things you can do in the spirit of St. Valentine if you're riding solo this year.

1. Get crafty.

Jo Szczepanska

For all the creatives out there, this is the perfect option for you! Gather a group of your closest friends and family members and get to crafting. You can make your own Valentine cards from scratch and share them with each other. If you're really feeling the love, you can send them to a local children's hospital, nursing home, or to our troops. It's a fun and simple way to spread love, and you don't need a S.O to do so!

2. Have a Valentine's candy taste test.

Aaron Burden

Valentine's Day is notorious for those heart-shaped chocolate boxes with assorted flavors. This is a great opportunity to bond with your friends or roommates! You can test out the different flavors and cast a vote on which ones you think are the best and worst. To make a game out of it, you can try to guess the names of each flavor; whoever loses will have to eat the worst ones!

3. Host a "Singles Only" dinner party.

rawpixel

In other words, let's be alone together. If you have some single friends that don't have plans of their own, host a singles only dinner party! You can make a toast to the single life and share your favorite memories over your favorite meal.

4. Do something  nice for your family.

Sai De Silva

Whether it's cooking dinner for your parents or watching your nieces and nephews so your siblings and in-laws can have a date night, this will always be a good option. Whatever it is you do, you'll get to spend time with your loved ones and get to show them how much you care about them. Sometimes, being selfless is the best form of self-love.

5. Plan a mini getaway trip.

STIL

If you're adventurous and eager to travel, you can plan a mini getaway trip with a friend or family member! That way, you can explore a new part of the world (even if it's just an hour away) and get some great photos and memories out of it. You can even have a road trip to the next town over and try a new local restaurant out there. Here are some destinations if you're having trouble with ideas!

6. Treat yourself.

As Tom and Donna say on Parks and Rec, TREAT. YO. SELF. Whether it be binge-watching your current favorite show on Netflix, buying yourself some nice clothes and shoes or finally succumbing to buying air pods, treat yourself! Sometimes we forget to do this with the responsibility of rent each month, and if not on Valentine's Day, when would splurge on ourselves?