Domestic Abuse Is NOT Only Physical

Domestic Abuse Is NOT Only Physical, Emotional Abuse Leaves Its Scars Too

There are many different facets of abuse, and they are all signs of a toxic relationship.

142

When in a relationship, some people will overlook certain behaviors, choices, or skewed beliefs by sweeping things under the rug that are problematic about their partner. They will ignore the mean comments and rude behavior that come about when they don't do things the way their partners want them to do it.

Some people don't realize that abuse comes in many different forms, not just physical.

If they don't support your goals or dreams, keep you from doing things just because they don't want you to do it, call you names and curse you out when they get angry, apologize after, but keep doing it, then you are being abused. The scars just aren't visible on the outside.

If you are constantly being accused of things you never did, if they always have something negative to say about every single decision you make in life, if there is pressure for intimacy and they constantly bring it up, then you are in a toxic relationship.

If you feel stressed every time you want to tell them about something you want to do because you are scared about their reaction, if you feel isolated from family and friends because they are constantly telling you that they hate being around them and make comments about them that don't have any merit, they are trying to isolate you and control you.

These are all signs you are in a very toxic and abusive relationship.

So many people don't even realize they are in one because most abusive relationships are associated with physical abuse, but trust me, the moment you start to feel anxiety or stress when you are around them means something is very wrong. When you feel panic because you aren't sure if you are going to get the nice version or the rude version of your partner that day, it is time to move on.

But it is very hard to get out of relationships — breaking up is not an easy thing to do at all, especially when someone can't recognize the signs of abuse. Because you think it's going to get better and things will change like they promised it would, but it never does, most people still want to be able to help that person change. But you can't change people that have deep-rooted issues and/or are not willing to change.

Your mental and emotional wellbeing are more important, and always will be. Never forget that you can't change people if they don't want to change.

Everyone deserves love, respect, and trust (along with many other things) in a relationship. Never settle... it's not worth it.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.