7 Things I Learned In The First 7 Days Studying Abroad

No matter how tired/hungover you are...GO TO CLASS.

186
@hannahfeeney

Studying abroad is an incredibly rewarding experience. Having the opportunity to travel outside your home country, aka comfort zone, is something not to be taken for granted. Although it is only week one and I am still adjusting to, here are 7 major lessons I've learned so far while being abroad in Florence, Italy:

1. You will be homesick.

It'll hit different people at different times, but it is bound to happen. For me, the feeling started right away, but some of my roommates haven't felt anything at all yet! One thing is for sure, it is nothing to be ashamed of. Coming to a brand new country with a different culture and perhaps language will have emotions running high. My advice is to not hide it. Talk about it and find people who feel the same way!

2. Learn to budget money *early*.

Between planning trips, going shopping, and buying food, the expenses add up rapidly. There are certain instances where you can't avoid dropping a few bucks (in my case euros), but try to set up a weekly budget so you are not begging your parents for money after the first few weeks. I consider myself a smart spender, but within the first week, I've realized I can't spend at the rate I have been. The biggest tip for this lesson is to limit how much you go out to eat. Although you want to try everything and go everywhere, remember you have 4 months to do it all, and a night spent eating in will make a massive difference.

3. Natives will know you're American instantly.

Almost everywhere I go, I hear the native Italians remark "Americana" when they see me...sometimes even before I start speaking (it may partly be due to the blonde hair lol). Most of the time, they don't say this to be mean, they are just observing out loud, and it's best to just agree and carry on with your day. The only time this knowledge can get dangerous is when pickpockets see you're foreign, which makes you an easy target. Just be smart with your belongings and be aware of your surroundings!

4. Get used to walking.

Many other countries really enjoy/value walking as opposed to driving. Although this allows you to explore more of your new home and learn the routes, it can be exhausting! I am averaging almost triple my steps as I did in America, even with me walking around a large campus such as Penn State. My advice is to always leave a large chunk of time to get to your destination if the walk is long or you get lost (I do all the time)! My legs better look amazing by the time this semester is over.

5. Find ways to make where you live "homey."

No bed is like your bed at home. I even call my bed at home my "nest." Something about your own bed brings comfort. Although you can't bring your bed with you abroad (I wish), you should go out and get some cozy pillows and blankets to recreate your real bed. I went to Coin Casa here in Florence and bought two big pillows and a super fuzzy blanket to cuddle with. Since then, I've slept ten times better. I figure if I'm going to be here for 4 months, I want to sleep peacefully and comfortably.

6. No matter how tired/hungover you are... GO TO CLASS.

A large portion of my grade here in Florence is simply attendance, so showing up to class is important. The last thing I want to do at 9 A.M. is to get out of my warm bed and trek across the city to my first class of the day. I just remind myself that although I'm also here to travel and explore, I am mainly here to go to school. It's not worth coming if you fail out and get sent home/not get the credits you needed.

7. It's better to explore and get lost than to not explore at all.

No one enjoys getting lost in an unfamiliar city...I know my anxiety shoots when this happens. But going abroad means you have to be willing to break free of your "norms" and try/see something unfamiliar. Even if you get lost, think of it as an opportunity to see new things you wouldn't have seen otherwise. Plus, that's just another chunk of your destination you are then familiar with.