You should never forget to check in on your strong friend.
Friendships

A Letter to My Strong Friend

"It is important to never forget that your strong friend needs you as much as you need them."

334
A Letter to My Strong Friend
Lucas Wesney

We all have that one friend who seems to have everything together. The friend who is strong, intelligent, and selfless. The friend who balances everything in life, who is your shoulder to cry on, and who has a clear sense of direction. It's easy to think that you never need to check in on your strong friend. Why would someone so secure ever need guidance?

During my time in college, I learned that every friend, regardless of their strength or independence, needs to be supported. College is a time of constant change. It's a time where everyone is trying to find out who they are and what they want to do in life. Even the strongest of friends will undoubtedly face challenges.

It is important to never forget that your strong friend needs you as much as you need them. They likely face the same insecurities, anxieties, and challenges that you face throughout college. They may put on a brave face and never complain, but that doesn't mean they aren't battling something. Your strong friend may be able to conceal their battles until their last breaking point.

Your strong friend is probably your most valuable friend. They are likely the friend that listens to your concerns and struggles before ever speaking of their own. They will support you, encourage you, and push you to try bigger and better things. They will help you when you fall and celebrate you when you rise. They are likely a friend who will be by your side for life. It is because of these qualities that you may never be concerned about your strong friend. In fact, you may even go to your strong friend asking for guidance on how to help your "struggling" friends.

I have many strong friends in my life and I am constantly inspired by their independence and level of selflessness. These friends are always the first to cheer me on in everything I do. They listen to my concerns and have a never-ending supply of great advice. They are the perfect people to lean on and are friends I will value forever.

If I have learned one thing in college, it is that I must always be there for my strong friends. I must remind them that it is okay to struggle and that they are allowed to not always have it all together. I learned that these friends are quick to take on too much responsibility or involve themselves in countless activities. I must be the friend who helps them find balance in it all and who encourages them to involve themselves in the things they are most passionate. I have realized that they are strong because they have been through a lot. They care so much about others that they may even forget to check in on themselves. You will likely have many strong friends throughout your college career. My advice to you is to never forget about your strong friends.

If you don't have a friend like this, you might be the strong friend.